Growing Lemongrass

Category Herbs
Lemongrass has been used for years as a seasoning and for medicinal purposes. It is also easy to grow, so you can have a ready supply of fresh lemon grass. This is a guide about growing lemongrass.

Have any of you ever grown lemon grass? If so,? did you grow it from seed or from a plant? If from a plant, where did you purchase it?

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By Elaine from IA

Answers

I found this for you. It's a great (safe) site for anything I've ever looked up:

http://www.ehow  lemon-grass.html

Thank you Keeper!

I bought a few from a local Chinese shop selling for cooking. I peeled off a few of the lower long leaves (a bit like the kind on a pineapple) which exposed bud like growths, and sat it in some water for a few days, not too deep, it grew strong roots from those buds. Results - Very healthy plants.

Any good nursery that sells herbs should have it. If not, they will probably order it for you. You can also order on the web. Just google "lemongrass". I did and came up with https://www.eas  ACFRibnAodp1VeIA

What is the best way to grow lemon grass in Malta? I bought a very small plant some time ago from Dubai and after six months I decided to plant it in the soil. It improved quite a bit, but I am expecting new shoots by now. Also is it advisable to fertilize?

Answers

lemongrass is a tropical herb, and Malta is I think of Mediterranean climate. They should do well, though probably it requires a bit more humidity than a native plant. It probably would not survive the winter unless it were planted in pots, or as annuals. It does best with rich, well-drained soil.

In general I think it would do all right, as long as you can maintain it warm and moist/

This is advice from Bonnie Plants:
Place them in a bright, south-facing window. Keep soil barely moist, as plants grow very slowly over winter. Another option is to store a pot of lemongrass, cut down, in a cool, dark place like a basement. Water just a few times over winter to keep roots alive.