Growing Love-In-A-Mist

Category Annuals
Nigella, also known as love-in-a-mist due to the light green, fine threadlike bracts that form the mist around the beautiful blue flowers, is a lovely old fashioned annual. They easily grow from seed and often self seed. This is a guide about growing love-in-a-mist.

Botanical Name: Nigella damascena
Life Cycle: annual
Planting Time: spring or summer
Height: 14" to 20"
Exposure: full sun
Soil: nutrient rich, well-drained soil
Hardiness:n/a, flowers poor in warm regions
Bloom Time: spring and early summer
Flower: blue, pink, lavender and purple
Foliage: light green and airy in texture
Propagation: seeds, self-sowing
Suggested Use: beds, borders, cut flowers, edging, mass plantings, window boxes, fillers, hanging baskets
Growing Hints: This plant has a long taproot that makes transplanting somewhat difficult, so in cooler climates, sow seeds outdoors in the spring as soon as soil is workable. Plants will flower approximately 3 month after seeding. In warmer climates, seeds can be sown in the fall for early spring germination. Plants should be spaced at least 6 inches apart for best show and watered deeply during dry spells. Foliage and seedpods will add interest to the garden even after flowers are spent.
Interesting Facts: Love-in-a-Mist has been cultivated for over 400 years and is a relative to the buttercup. The aromatic seeds are used in the Middle East for culinary and medicinal purposes.
Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
I purchased this speedwell plant at Lowe's a couple of years ago in the discount plant section; a favorite shopping area for my garden. The nigella is an annual that regularly self seeds and has actually grown from seeds that fell into a pot of other plants that I moved with me. Inexpensive and free, you can't beat that and they are so pretty together. (Note: I regret not removing the plant care stake (seen poking out of the center of the plants) before taking the photo, but then I am certainly not perfect as much as I try :). I have included a closeup of it so that you can see the variety of the speedwell.

Photo Location
Bremerton, WA

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes