Growing a Mango Tree

Category Fruit
If you are in the right climate mangoes are easy to grow. Knowing the proper soil and environment these trees like, will make your mango growing successful. This is a guide about growing mangoes.

If you live in a tropical climate, a mango tree might be a good addition to your garden. This is a guide about starting a mango tree from a seed.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about mango tree photos. If you are lucky enough to live in a warm climate you can grow your own mangos fresh for the picking.

How do you grow an Apple Mango tree?

By NITIN PARADKAR from Konkan

Answers

Mangos are sweet and juicy tropical fruits that pack a lot of vitamins. As trees, they grow tall and leafy providing your backyard with some good shade. It even gives off a sweet aroma when it's flowering or if the fruits are beginning to ripen. In any case, if you want to grow your own mango tree in your yard, here are some steps on how to grow one from a mango pit.

Growing a Seedling
Prepare a bed of potting soil. Place the pit flat on the top and push it straight down. Keep the pit damp and place it where it can have sustained warmth. Mango pits usually grow the roots first and eventually sprout a seedling. This process usually takes about a month.

Preparing Your Backyard
All you have to do is to dig a hole that will be big enough to accommodate the seedling with the ball of potting material. Remember to keep the excavated soil for refilling afterward.

Planting
Carefully set the seedling into the hole. Cover it and gaps with soil. It's said that it's best to do this on the onset of rain.

Watering, Plant Food, and Care
Keep the seedling well irrigated at least to keep the soil from drying out. The young seedling needs much care during its first few months. Newly planted seedlings (year-old ones) may benefit from a small dose of pure fertilizer (around 300 grams). Weeds can also affect seedling growth.

Waiting for Your Tree to Grow
Well, the next step is practically keeping an eye on it for pests and parasites. Eventually, your young seedling will grow to be a young tree and eventually, start to bear fruits. But you have to be patient since it takes years for you to have a healthy, fruit-bearing mango tree. Good luck.

A caution about Mangos! It is possible to be very allergic to them and the juice from the skin is the worst part. It will manifest itself with blisters similar to a case of poison oak. This can come from contact with the mango or inhaling the steam from cooking mangos. Actually, poison oak and mangos are botanically related.

I live in Las Vegas, zone 8A. I want to plant a mango tree close to my house. Will the mango tree roots spreading cause problems with the wall or the foundation?

By Fariz from Las Vegas, NV

Answers

I wouldn't put anything with the name of "tree" next to the houses foundation. I have seen many that have regretted it.

Can you grow a mango in Concord California from a sprouted mango seed?

By Garrett Jones from Concord, CA

Answers

Yes, It will take 3 years for you for get fruit.

Growing a Mango Tree
I have had a mango tree in my garden for about 3 years. Last year I got 3 or 4 mangoes, but all of a sudden this year the tree has several bunches of baby mangoes. I never thought they would grow in southern California, but I am wondering if I should pick off some of the budding fruit. They can't possibly all turn into edible fruit can they?

By Katherine from Beverly Hills, CA

Answers:

Growing a Mango Tree

I know for sure that most of these fruit can be taken down when a fairly big size and eaten as raw mangoes.
You don't need to pluck any mangoes off. (07/14/2010)

By vidya dixit

Growing a Mango Tree

I used a damp paper towel to root some mango pits and even some avocado stones.
(08/21/2010)

By Sharon

RE: Growing a Mango Tree

Growing a Mango Tree

I have two tropical fruit trees a Mango and a Guava. They are still in pots. I have not planted them in the ground yet. I am waiting for at least 60 degrees at night.

I put them outside in daylight and bring into garage at night. I've wrapped the roots in black plastic to protect from a cold snap. Because it still goes down to 40 degrees at night here I use a plant light at night. I may have put too much Miracle Gro on them. The leaves are dying even though the stem is still green.

By Sally Sablan from Manteca, CA

I grew a mango sapling from a seed. However, I didn't bring it in last night and we had our first hard frost. I immediately brought it in this morning, but the leaves began to curl and the trunk started turning brown. Once again, this happened when I brought it in.

Can I salvage the tree?

By Janet from Kennesaw, GA

Answers:

Growing a Mango Tree

Maybe it was the change in climate (from the outside to the inside) or just a delayed reaction to being exposed to frost. (12/08/2009)

By Jackie

Growing a Mango Tree

I am planning to grow a Mango tree in Athens, Greece. I have carefully read the instructions that you gave to other people regarding planting the seed. I would like to ask you two questions:

1. If I eat the mango fruit, take the seed and plant it after 5-7 days is it OK? or should I plant right after consuming it?

2. In Greece we have a relatively warm climate. Sometimes during winter maybe for one month is relatively cold below 10 degrees Celsius. I would like to ask you. Do you think is a good idea to plant it in a big pot and keep it there until next spring so that might be strong enough and to replant it to my garden?

Konstantina

Answers:

Is it possible to grow a Mango Tree in South Georgia.