Growing Poppies

Category Flowers
Poppies are prized in the garden for their beautiful colors and striking flowers. This is a page about growing poppies.

Does anyone know how to plant or grow a poppy flower plant from a bud off an existing plant?

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By Edith from CT

Answers

Are you talking about a poppy after it has already flowered? If you are, the top is full of seed. Make sure the plant has dried sufficiently and save the seed. Poppies seed readily if you throw them on the ground or let them drop naturally. I planted one poppy last year and had several come up.

I cannot get my poppies to bloom, since we moved and I left behind my beautiful orange oriental poppies. I have since planted 2, one has only 1 small leaf and the other has several tiny leaves. What is missing?

By Edith P.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

Photo Description
Photo of poppies in my garden in Highland, Michigan.

Photo Location
Highland, Michigan

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

We love our California poppies. Great Granddaughter was delighted that the seeds she planted came up. And was such a big surprise for her on Memorial day when they came for a BBQ. We went out and planted her pumpkins before they left. She can't wait for Halloween this year.

By Vi Johnson from Moorpark, CA

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

This is a picture of my youngest grandson Jacob, as soon as I took the picture he asked if we were done and broke the stem and handed me the poppy. Here is a flower for you Grandma.

Little boy holding a red poppy.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 9

This page is about growing oriental poppies. Georgia O' Keefe painted these beautiful flowers large and outside of the normal perspective, with the hope that people would view them with fresh eyes.

Orange Oriental Poppies

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This page is about growing California poppies. These drought tolerant poppies grow well in poor soil and should be watered only moderately.

California Poppies

This page is about growing Iceland poppies. These beautiful true perennials are usually grown as annuals or biennials.

Iceland Poppies

This is a page about growing Celandine poppy (wood poppy). This poppy, a wild flower native to the eastern US, is a good choice if you have shady, moist area in your garden.

Celandine Poppy

This is a page about growing Shirley poppy. The Shirley poppy is easily grown from seed and available in a variety of colors.

Shirley Poppies

Home and Garden Gardening FlowersJanuary 8, 2013
📓
😷
🌻
😎
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Growing-Poppies.html