Growing San Marzano Tomatoes from Cuttings

When growing tomatoes people suggest you remove the suckers that grow at the elbow of the plant. I did this early this summer, but instead of tossing the suckers, I put them in a small glass of water. Slowly they developed threadlike roots. When the roots were hardier, I planted them in the garden and these were the tomatoes that I am harvesting now. Some look like babies in blankets.

Top Comment

Wow! That is a great idea! Makes perfect sense too! They are little plants waiting to grow! You can multiple your garden cheaply this way! Genius!

I have never heard of this tomato. They look as if they might be similar to a Roma. Tell us how they taste, or do you just use them for sauces?

These are the type of tomatoes the Italian cook Lidia uses on TV. They are similar to Roma tomatoes and are excellent for sauces. I think the second generation plants I grew are more bountiful than the first plant.

Last March, I have grown tomatoes in our backyard but I usually buy the seedlings in the market instead of growing them from seeds. I thinks its more practical but you cannot just choose the variety. Here is the tomato I grow in our backyard.

Anonymous

Do you know what they are called? They look like Roma.

You'd better believe I'm doing this from now on!

Anonymous

With limited gardening space, how does one contend with the advice from nurseries that you shouldn't plant tomatoes in the same space twice. ? Is that a mandate or can you improve soils each year to where they might seem to be a different growing medium?

Home and Garden Gardening CuttingsAugust 31, 2016
🎂
📓
🌻