Growing Stargazer Lilies

Category Bulbs
These hearty, fragrant flowers are quite easily grown from hybrid bulbs. This guide is about growing stargazer lilies.

I planted stargazer lilies in pots for the first time last spring/summer. They did not do much. I always move all my pots into my semi-heated attached garage for winter and the stargazers are beginning to come up. They are very leggy and spindly, at least 12 inches tall. Do I let them grow and move them outside when it gets warmer or can I cut them back to get fuller growth?

By Tarann from Greenville, OH

Answers

Do they grow from a bulb or root system? I think if you cut it off, plant outside when temps are warm, it'll grow and be fine.

Search for "how to grow stargazer lilies in pots"lot of info there,good luck.

It sounds like you watered your lilies too much to start with. If you cut them off you won't have blooms this year but if you stop watering them and let the top die then take it off you will have better luck. The legginess is because they didn't have enough light when they started to grow.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
I planted these lilies next to my porch in memory of my dad, who passed away at 90+ years old.

In his last years, with his health severely limiting his mobility to a room or two and his porch, he continued to enjoy life, people and a lily planted outside. He lovingly watered it everyday and would daily count and announce how many blooms it had, when in season. They were really beautiful!

Many passersby would stop and chat with him about how beautiful they were and just to spend time talking with him. He really liked that. I would tease him and tell him that he had many more visitors each day then I did! And he really did!

After he passed away, I planted these lilies at my house. They help me feel the love and optimism of my dad, even when he struggled, each time I step in and out of the house when they bloom!

Photo Location
Sterling, PA

Comment Like this photo? 6

This is the first Stargazer lily I ever grew. Mr. Cottontail had it for a midnight snack that night. I love that I have this picture to remind me of the beautiful flower. Hope it comes back next year!

By Monika

Stargazer Lily

Comment Like this photo? 5

This photo is just a flower in my backyard that I really like. My other flowers got ruined by a dog, and this, along with about four others survived. I added an overlay to boost the colors which I feel make it much more vibrant and beautiful.

By Megan

Closeup of lily.

Comment Like this photo? 5

Since I have a very shady yard I have planted my favorite flowers (Star Gazer Lilies) in pots which I can move around for best sunlight and also enjoy their beautiful fragrance. This is the second year they have bloomed in these pots.

GraNita

Comment Like this photo? Yes

Photo Description
This is a photo of a star gazer Asiatic lily and a plant called Russian sage. Russian sage are beautiful alone, but are incredible when mixed with other plants, including butterfly bushes.

Photo Location
In southern Wisconsin, my front yard

Comment Like this photo? 2

I planted these lilies in 2011. The first year they came up, but didn't bloom. Last summer I got this bloom. It lasted about a week. I also have yellow and orange day lilies and white Asian lilies. I can't wait for them to bloom this year.

Stargazer lilies.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1