Growing Sweetgum Trees

I have several sweet gum trees in my yard. Prior to the leaves forming a green thing is dropped from the bud, they are about 2 inches long and are a pain to clean up. What are they called and what is their purpose?

Thank you.

The things that fall off are seed pods.

These are the sweet gum flowers (basically the reproductive parts of the tree so they drop take root and you get more trees)--this article explains them way better than I could:

naturewalk.yale.edu/.../american-sweetgum-46

They are messy, but to me, when they dry out and get brown (people love them for crafts) but I find those even more annoying. This is one tree I do not miss having. As pretty as they are, they are so messy!

I have this tree. They're not for small - medium properties. Mine is maybe 75 - 90 foot at this time. I find them all ever my property. What I mainly do to get rid of them is keeping grassy areas mowed. In flower beds if theyre not close to plants I want to keep is cut them back to maybe 4 inches, then I pour a mixture of vinegar, lots of salt, and dishwashing liquid on them.

I drench plant and soil around it. I keep checking it. I repeat this every few days to a week. So far it's worked for me.

Home and Garden Gardening TreesMay 6, 2019
🍂
🎄