VegetablesGrowing

Growing and Harvesting Loose Leaf Lettuce

I planted some leaf lettuce in my garden and it is doing pretty good. My question is how do I harvest the lettuce and what can I use to take away some of the bitter taste? I've tried it straight from the garden and it tastes kind of bitter. I would like to try to make a salad from it, but don't quite know how to harvest the leaves and how to take the bitter taste out of it. Does anyone know how to do this?

If it is bitter, you waited too long to harvest it. You could try sautéing it on a bit of olive oil and adding salt and pepper.

I got some loose leaf lettuce from my neighbor and also found it to be a little bitter but not too bad. I tossed it with some Olive Garden Signature Italian dressing and topped it with some drained mandarin oranges. I rather enjoyed it. I wonder if hot weather has anything to do with the taste. I would think that lettuce is a cooler weather vegetable but I have never grown lettuce.

This is an interesting question as I have had some very bitter loose leaf lettuce also.

I read comments from this site and here are a couple of comments:

"Note: Although the biggest cause for bitter lettuce is temperature, along with the other possible reasons, additional factors such as one's region, current growing conditions and even variety can all play a role in the bitterness of lettuce plants.

Some people have found it helpful to soak their bitter lettuce prior to using. If you would like to give this a try, separate the lettuce leaves, put them in a bowl of cold water and add a small amount of baking soda. Let the leaves soak about five to 10 minutes, rinse thoroughly in cold water and then soak them again for a few more minutes. Drain and use. You can also try refrigerating the bitter lettuce for 24-48 hours before serving."

www.gardeningknowhow.com/.../bitter-lettuce.htm