Guinea Pig as a Pet

I have got my piggie in a large cage. When I try to touch him he hides in one corner and makes noises; is that normal? Also he makes noise when I touch his rump should I be concern about that?

By Danielis

I have a guinea pig too.....they like to hide when they see people coming towards them because as the type of animals they are, they get eaten a lot and it is instinct to hide and seek cover.

If you have the cage in a spot where he sees you every day all the time, and you pass by the cage, the guinea pig will learn to holler for treats. They make noises of all sorts. Mine makes noise when he sees me.

If your cage is out of the way, the guinea pig will not get used to you but will always run and hide. It needs to be somewhere out of drafts.

Guinea pigs also need to have timothy hay to chew on and vitamin c supplemented. You can get them vitamin C by getting kale and giving them a little each day or the supplement you put in water.

Guinea pigs are wonderful pets. If you see him or her stop heating or get crusted around his or her nose, then it is time to take it to the vets.

I love guinea pigs and my daughter's LuLu, is a darling! She will run and seek cover but also when I go into the kitchen she will come out and squeak. The noise she makes is rather funny, and I tell her good girl. She also gets carrot pieces for treats also.