Hash Recipes

Category Main Dishes
Hash is an excellent recipe for using up leftover roast or other meat. This page contains hash recipes.

This is a great recipe that I came up with one day because we didn't have a lot of money and Payday was 2 days away! My kids call it "Vomit" as a joke.

Directions:

Cook rice as directed. Cook onion and garlic and then add hamburger and cook until done; drain. In a bowl add cooked rice and soups and mix up really good. Then add the hamburger and stir it together.

We have peas on the side or mixed in. We also have a slice of buttered bread with it. It looks like vomit, but it is very good!

A lot of people will say it is like Chow Mein Hotdish, but it is minus the oven cooking time, the celery, and crunchy noodles.

Servings: 5
Time:5 Minutes Preparation Time
20 Minutes Cooking Time

By wabound2016 from Wabasha, MN

Great hearty cold weather meal!

• 1 lb. ground beef
  • 3 large onions, sliced
  • 1 large green pepper, chopped
  • 1 (16 oz.) can tomatoes
  • Ad

• 1/2 cup uncooked regular rice
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1-2 tsp. chili powder
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper

Directions:

1. In large skillet, cook and stir meat, onions, and green pepper until meat is brown and vegetables are tender. Drain well.
  2. Stir in tomatoes, rice, salt, chili powder, and pepper. Heat throughly.
  3. Pour into ungreased 2 qt. casserole. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.

Servings: 4-6
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 60 Minutes

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 1/2 cup onion
  • 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
  • 1/2 stick margarine
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked turkey, chopped
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 cup turkey gravy
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped parsley, opt.

Directions

Saute' veggies in margarine until limp. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer until blended, about 15 minutes. The hash is better if made the day before. Freezes well.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Quick and easy to prepare, low cost, tastes great!

Directions:

Peel and chop potatoes, cover with water, bring to a boil and cook for approximately 15 to 20 minutes until almost tender. Drain well.

Place the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat, and add chopped onion, grated carrots and stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes. Add ground beef, stirring until no longer pink.

Add salt, pepper, garlic powder and flour. Blend well and cook 3 minutes longer.

Add the French onion soup undiluted from the can, into beef mixture, blending well.

Reduce heat to low and cook for 10 to 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the drained potatoes and peas if desired. Blend well, cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes longer.

Servings: 4 to 6
Time:15 Minutes Preparation Time
25 to 30 Minutes Cooking Time

By Nancy from Cross Lanes, WV

Ingredients

• 1 can roast beef or corned beef has (15oz.)
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 package corn muffin mix
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

Mix hash, onion and egg. Prepare muffin batter; add salt and cheese. Spread half of the muffin batter in greased 8 inch pan. Spread on hash mixture; top with remaining batter. Bake 25 minutes at 400 degrees F. Cut into slices or squares. Serves 4-6.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Does anyone remember the Hamburger Helper Hash, that was really popular in the 70s and 80s? It has since been discontinued. I am looking for the clone of that recipe or a pretty good facsimile thereof. I absolutely loved that particular Hamburger Helper and would love if you could help me.

By shanya2 from Central TX

Answers

Is that the one that had little cubes of dried potatoes in it? Just last year we were someplace and I bought a couple boxes at a store (their brand, not Hamburger Helper). Sorry, I don't remember the store. Just brown and drain the ground beef, add a bag of diced hashbrowns, and some seasonings and beef gravy.

I remember that one too & I miss it! Several years ago I either wrote or called the number on the box asking about it.
The reason it is no longer available here is that there was low demand for it. That's such a pity! I look for it every time we are out of town or state.
Here's these - http://www.cdki  _Helper531.shtml

Hamburger Helper Seasoning Mix Recipe
(change the serving amount to how many you want)
http://www.cdki  g_Mix60952.shtml

here's the 2nd one
http://www.cdki  elper31038.shtml
http://www.razz  urger-helper.htm

You can make hash yourself.
I use left over beef roast, shred or chop fine
Add grated cooked potatoes. ( You could probably use frozen hash browns)
add a large onion, chopped. If I have left over gravy, add that. Last time I just used beef broth.
Add salt & Pepper, and I say the secret ingredient is about a TBLS of worchestershire sauce.
I put this in skillet, on low to med, and cook for half hour or so. Stir occasssionally.

Ingredients

• 4 Tbsp. oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 4 medium potatoes, peeled, boiled, diced
  • leftover roast, diced
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper

Directions

In large skillet, heat oil until hot. Saute' onion. Place diced potatoes in with onion. Let cook until potatoes start to brown on medium-low heat. Add roast meat; cook until browned well. Add seasoning and serve hot.

By Robin from Washington, IA