Having Dental Work Done Without Insurance

I am 19, have no dental insurance, no credit, and am on my own. I earn less than $600 a month in income and I am in some major pain. I live near Destin, Florida. Where can I find some help?

By Angela

A lot of people are in your situation. If you have a social worker as if they know of any places where you could get dental care. I have a 21 year old grandaughter that has a two year old. She has been in pain with tooth problems for about two years. She is over income for our state Medicaid, but doesn't have enough income to pay for the dental work she needs. Where I live all the dentists, chiropractors, etc. have signs up saying that services must be paid for when received unless previous arrangements have been made. Have you talked to any dentists to see what arrangements can be made?

When I was in your situation (many years ago), I was able to get help from my mom. Is that possible, even though you don't want to ask?

Second, in my area, we have a dental school, where the public can sign up to get treatment. It's either free or cheap, since you'd be treated by a student. But the care is pretty good. But you would go on a waiting list, so not really the answer for an emergency situation.

Third is to ask a dentist if you can sign up to pay a monthly fee for the bill (if your credit score is good).

Fourth, can you borrow from friends or anyone else, if you don't have relatives to help?

Fifth, is it possible to get a second job to get the $ to pay for dental bill? Temporary work, seasonal work?

Sixth, is it possible for you to get a job that pays more?

Seventh, with Obamacare, is it possible you'll get a subsidy? If you are in a state with expanded Medicaid. If so, you can buy dental insurance, starting 1/1/14.

No matter what happens with your teeth, I hope you find a way to learn a skill to get paid more, or you will face this problem repeatedly throughout your life. If you get a skilled permanent, full time job, you may be able to buy cheap dental insurance, and get health ins. paid for by your employer.

You also need to set aside a few dollars here and there (no buying Christmas gifts until you do!), to establish an emergency fund for things like this.

Hi Angela, I live just above the bay from you, in Walton County. I found some info. for you, hope and pray it helps and you find relief.

Clinic List for Florida, this has tons of clinics with phone numbers, addresses , etc. (if anybody from another state needs this type of help, just change the last two letters at the end of the website address to your state letters)

522 Free, Low-Cost or Sliding Scale Clinics in Florida

http://www.need … ist&state=fl

Hope Medical Clinic

150 Beach Dr

Destin FL 32541

850-837-8424

Accepts: Employed, Uninsured

Income: At or below 200% federal poverty level

Fees: Free/No fee

Languages Spoken: English

Community Health Center - Freeport (Pan Care of FL)

479 East Highway 20

Freeport FL 32439

850-880-6568

Accepts: Uninsured, Underinsured, Insurance,

Medicare, Medicaid

Income: All income levels accepted

Fees: Sliding scale of fees based on income

Languages Spoken: English, Spanish

Services: Primary Care, Medical Services, Dental

Sharing & Caring, Inc. of Okaloosa County

(850)244-0778

Provides food and assistance for medicine, rent,

utilities, school supplies, personal care products,

and special needs. Services are supplied based

upon need and funds availability.

Crossroads Medical Center

(850)389-3015

Delivers quality primary health care and other

related professional services to low-income,

uninsured adults residing in Okaloosa and Walton

counties through creative collaborative partnerships.