Health Benefits of Pet Ownership

This is a guide about health benefits of pet ownership. Owning a pet can greatly improve your health both mentally and physically. Their companionship and their exercise needs are just a few of the ways they can change your life for the better.

Owning a pet such as a dog or cat can improve your health and help keep it that way. There have been many studies documenting both the medical and psychological benefits of pet ownership. In addition to the obvious benefit of walking your dog which provides exercise for both of you, there are many other benefits.

Some studies show that children raised in households with pets have noticeably lower incidences of allergies and asthma. Being around pets may actually boost your immune system, according to other findings. Similarly, pet ownership can help reduce stress, which can also have a positive effect on your immune system. Playing with you pet can elevate the levels of serotonin and dopamine in your system. Both of these neurotransmitters play a role in the body's natural promotion of feelings of pleasure and calm.

There are many reasons we own pets, these are but a few of the health benefits we can obtain by bringing pets into our homes. And then there is the licking and purring.

I couldn't agree with you more! We had a cat named Muffin for about 16 years and sadly she passed away. My husband was so heartbroken losing her he couldn't and wouldn't get another kitten. Two years ago he suffered two strokes brought on by stress from work.

One night while visiting him in the hospital he told my daughter we could get a kitten, well actually he said two! She took him up on it (he says he doesn't remember it : ) and when I came home from the hospital one night there were two of the cutest kittens in my living room. She got them while we spent the day at the hospital.

When he was released from Shock/Trauma, we had to take him immediately to the rehab center and chose the one that was 20 minutes away from my daughter (she lived in another state). We loaded up everyone and headed for rehab and he got to meet his new kittens in the car. They bonded immediately. Our calico seemed to know he needed her and she became "his" cat immediately.

Today, she continues to nurture him with her attention and gives him the calming effect he needed. The other kitten seems to be more of "my" cat. Combined, they provide lots of love and laughs and he is so happy now we got them. His blood pressure has changed for the better. I would recommend a loving pet for the love and peace they give your lives.