Hemming Jeans Like a Pro

contest winner icon
There is a way to hem jeans that preserves the original stitching. In my area it is called a "special hem", and costs a lot extra if the store or a seamstress does it. I Googled "hemming jeans like a pro" and found several tutorials. It is really easy and doesn't take long at all. I used a sewing machine, but you can do it by hand if you don't have one. Not only is the original stitching saved, but you do not cut any excess fabric away, which is a big help if you are going to pass the jeans on and the next person is taller.

Total Time: About 1/2 hour, including measuring the pants.

1. With the right side out, fold the pants up so you can see how much you have to shorten.
  2. Divide the amount you have to shorten by 1/2. Note: DO NOT include the existing hem in your calculations. Mark with chalk or a marker. I like to pin on the line I just marked.
  3. Stitch the cuff all the way around, getting as close to the hem edge as you can, without actually stitching into it. Some people like to use a zipper foot at this point.
  4. On the inside of the leg, finger-press the cuff upwards. Then use the iron to press it.
  5. On the right side of the pants press with an iron.
  6. I like to put a few stitches in the cuff so that it doesn't fall down when I am wearing the pants, and doesn't flop down after washing.
  7. Enjoy your pants that now fit you perfectly!

Thanks! Funny coincidence...the jeans I need to them look exactly like yours! Lol

Brilliant Tip being a shorty myself I have to alter hems so will try this next time Thankyou

This is how I always hem all of our pants! I do it by hand, never with a machine. It is an easy thing to do while watching tv or a movie. I have heard it called a Euro Hem.

The only drawback is that if the pants are washed a lot, there will be a faded line on the fabric if theyre ever let back out. They might not be suitable for wear by a taller person. They could be used for a denim rug though.