Himalayan Breed Information and Photos

Category Cat Breeds
Himalayan Cat
These beautiful, long haired cats are a popular breed. This page contains Himalayan breed information and photos.

I recently got a Himalayan cat for my birthday, and he's constantly peeing around the house, on the leather couch, on our chairs, etc. We also have 3 other cats, I'm wondering if getting more litter boxes would help, or as people have told me that it's just the breed that is unhappy being around other animals? I don't want to get rid of him so please tell me any information you know.

Lacey

i would take him to your vet and have him checked for a uti. This is one of the signs and if left untreated it can go on quite a while. If thats not it there is medication you can use for behavior, but your vet needs to check his urine to rule out infection, tumors, etc....

yes he may have a uti...also how many litter boxes do you have? You should have one for each cat plus one...so for four cats you should have 5 litterboxes in various places (some cats prefer a specific location, a certain amount of litter in the box, etc.). I have five cats and seven litter boxes, and no more problems!...2 wasn't enough even though I scoop three times a day, as one of my cats is picky and doesn't like to share. This has solved the problem.

If the vet finds no infection it is definitely a litter box problem. Get him his own. Most cats hate to share and by nature cats are territorial and right now he doesn't even have a litter box to call his own in his new home he shares with other cats. Some cats really are more fussy than others. I have one like that. The other is not fussy at all.

Yes. he should have his own box. Also be sure it is changed daily. Some will not use it if the box is not cleaned. They won't use a dirty box.

my family and i have just got a new cat, and i dont know what to feed it.. i know that it needs food... but what sort?

Editor's Note: At the grocery store or pet store there are many kinds of cat food. Depending on it's age, buy the appropriate food. On most bags of dry food there are amounts to feed for the size (weight) of your cat. Canned food also has serving sizes. Buy some of each and buy the smaller sizes until you find out what he/she likes.

I have a 10 month old Pure Bred Chocolate Point Himalayan and am really in need of some help finding a reputable Himalayan Cat Breeder near my Home of Elmira, NY. I've tried EVERY website imaginable and am unable to find anyone. The breeder has to have breeding papers.

How do I find one and what do I look for in true Himalayan Breeders?

Betty B.
From Elmira, NY

Here is a page with Himalayan Breeders. I didn't see any in New York but there is one in Connecticut, Pennsylvania and Virginia. Some of these breed show cats so hopefully they are reputable.

http://www.pets4you.com/him.html

Here is a list of breeders in New York state:

http://www.hima  der3.htm#NewYork

And more in New York and New Jersey

http://www.bree  _np.html#NewYork

Susan from ThriftyFun

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Bumper is a year old Himalayan. We took Bumper in at 8 weeks old, from a breeder. She was going to be euthanized because she was born with no eyes. The breeder felt she would not be sold, or have a quality of life. We felt that she should be given every chance of a fulfilled life.

She's our babe! She likes to curl up under the blankets, and cuddles with her big brother Earnhardt (Yellow Lab.) If you would like to know more about cats born with no eyes, please visit a site that is very dear to us. This is a Blind Cat Sanctuary in NC.

By ilovegourds from Cheraw,SC

Himalayan with cellphone

Comment Like this photo? 21

Bentley is 11 years old and a Himalayan. Bentley came to our home about 9 years ago from a local family that wasn't able to deal with such a furry cat.

Bentley likes to catch lizards on our screened back porch when one slips under the screen door. He chases them and plays with them. Bentley likes to sleep under my arm at night. He is a one person cat and follows me around during the day. He likes to be scratched under the chin.

By Mongol from Land O' Lakes, FL

Bentley on ladder.

Comment Like this photo? 14

Fancy was a five year old Himalayan. Fancy was given to me five years ago. She was given away because the owner didn't want her any more. Fancy was the perfect pet.

She was always trying to jump into your lap. She was kept inside and was great at catching mice. She loved laying on the porch swing. Fancy was always an inside pet, until last year when she got a taste of the great outdoors and wouldn't stay inside anymore.

Fancy was attacked in my yard by five big dogs. I heard the fight underneath the house. I couldn't find her until she dragged herself to the porch the next morning. She was completely covered in mud . You couldn't even tell that she was a cat. I cleaned her and tried to feed her, but she passed away the next day.

By vickie guy from Earle, Arkansas

himalayan cat

Comment Like this photo? 9

Knight was about 2 year old Himalayan mix. My aunt got him from Clayton County Animal Shelter on the day he was to be euthanized. We got him last June.

He liked to climb onto anything, and he loved being with people. He had the prettiest blue eyes we have ever noticed in any cat we've ever had. But, unfortunately, he was either killed by coyotes, of which we have here, or he was stolen because he was an expensive breed of cat. We posted flyers; but have had no replies.

By Payton

Himalayan Cat

Comment Like this photo? 13

Poohbear is one to two and a half years old. He is a Himalayan. I got my pet from the Greene County Animal Shelter.

He likes to chase my shoe stings and plays with me when I'm in the shower. He like to chow on the shower curtain and jumps on my kitten table when I eat dinner he likes to sleep with me every night.

By Bekah

Cat drinking from sink

Comment Like this photo? 9

Mop. Sometimes Mop-a-lop-a-gus. We aren't sure how old she is. We guess she is around 5. She is a Himalayan. I got her from a shelter. I went to get a orange tabby because I wanted one so bad. Mop was the only cat there surrounded by dogs.

She enjoys eating your hair and sitting on the back of the couch. She will be lovey dovey to you and as soon as you say "Awww Mop what a sweet kitty" she bites your ear. It never fails LOL. Other than that, she enjoys being a mouser. Shes the coolest!

Sleeping Himalayan with remote contol

Comment Like this photo? 1

Lilly is 6 years old and a Himalayan. I adopted Lilly from a shelter two years ago. She was very sick with crystals in her urine and she was covered with lice. She was so sad!

Himalayan Cat

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

This is Squishy. He is a Himalayan that just got back from the groomer, who thought he was a girl! Squishy was brought to my Grandmother's (the local "cat lady") four years ago this month. He was very tiny and very sick.

Himalayan Cat with bow

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

I got him when he was 3 months old, I saw the breeder ad on-line. He likes playing hide and seek.

Misha (Himalayan)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 2