Home Made Ice Packs Using Alcohol

I recently had shoulder surgery and am using lots of ice. I would like to make my own ice packs. I know that you can put rubbing alcohol and water in a zip lock bag and freeze it. The alcohol prevents it from freezing solid...it becomes slushy and can be easily molded to your "owie". The only problem is that I don't know how much of each to use; nor do I know what strength of alcohol since it comes in 50%, 70% and 91%. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Margaret from Texas

Answers:

Home Made Ice Packs Using Alcohol

Hi Margaret! I hope your shoulder gets well quickly. Here's a site I found for making your own ice pack with alcohol. www.recipezaar.com/91931 I really doubt that the % of alcohol will make a huge difference...other than, as the site says, the more alcohol the "softer" the pack will be. God bless you!!! (04/29/2005)

By SL Edens

Home Made Ice Packs Using Alcohol

get some cotton fabric, cut it the size you need for your ice pack. sew three sides, put in enough plain white rice to half fill the bag. Sew the fourth side together, freeze when you need an ice pack, or microwave for two minutes when you need heat. ARDIS (06/24/2005)

By Ardis Barnes

Home Made Ice Packs Using Alcohol

Use equal parts of rubbing alcohol and water. Any type of rubbing alcohol will work, too! (09/08/2005)

By Lynda