Home Repair Assistance for Low Income Family?

I live in San Lorenzo, California. I am looking for some type of help to fix up the house I am living in. It is not mine, it is my fiance's grandmother's. She is 81 years old and lives here as well. I have a 3 year old and one on the way and I cannot stand the thought of us living in this house anymore, but we have no where else to go.


The biggest problems are: we have are cockroaches, rats, mice, mold, and termites. Also, the pipes are so bad that the walls shake and the smell that comes from them is so bad it smells like something died. There are many other problems with this house, but those are the important ones. I wish I could just pack up and leave, but unfortunately that is not an option. Is there any way we can get help to take care of these problems? As it is we barely have enough money to pay for bills and buy food. These problems are only going to get worse if we don't find a way to fix them. Thank you.

By Danielle R.

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

March 21, 20151 found this helpful
Best Answer

Many people have problems in their homes and need help for plumbing, construction, electric, general repair or to rebuild homes due to fire, flood and other problems that they are not able to afford. Unfortunately, there are no federal, state, county, etc., government agencies that help people needing home repairs in any state.


In some areas there may be volunteer, nonprofit, and other entities that might have the resources to help, however, these are usually difficult to find as there is no consolidated center to apply. Also, they may not be active all year, may not receive needed funding and have shut down, etc. You can try researching resources online and contact private and religious entities who may be able to help or suggest other possible resources. Good Luck!

Reply Was this helpful? 1
December 31, 20170 found this helpful

i have a brother that has been tring to get his house remodeled for several years The house is not fit to live in , he has no money and works his butt off due to divorce he lost everything and she had so many medical issues that he is paying 60,000 in medical bills. He has no heat because the furnice cought fire and they red taged it , no electric and the pipes just busted due to the extreme cold weather in the -teens he is not one to ask for help but i cant stand seeing him live this way any longer please tell me what i can do to help. Desparite in OHIO

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
February 28, 20180 found this helpful

No offense...but exactly why would you bring one much less TWO children into conditions like this? You may have no choice but Children deserve better.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
July 11, 20180 found this helpful

My name is kerrie Qualls I am disable I get ssi every month and I am not able to fix my And I am asking for help Because my son is not able to help me Need a lot of help on my home and I go to the doctor about Every 2 weeks and I barely have the money to go there so I am ask please somebody help 3

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
March 21, 20150 found this helpful

The bug/rodent problem could have been taken care at the time you saw the first one, instead of waiting until they completely invaded the house. Between your boyfriend's income, your income, and his mother's Social Security, you should have had enough income to at least have an exterminator come in to take of the insects and rodents.


I'm assuming you and the boyfriend work or have unemployment benefits or disability income. What you consider to be low income might not be considered low by others. IF one of you have a pastor they should go and speak to the pastor because sometimes they will take up a special offering for a needy member of the congregation. There might also be members of the church that can do part of the work and maybe even furnish some of the supplies. Also I would think your significant other and yourself could have been doing some of the work before things got so bad. That being said nobody is forcing you to stay in the house. You aren't tied to the house, just your significant other and his mother are tied to it.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
March 22, 20150 found this helpful

Where are you getting your money? Are you all living off the grandmother's Social Security, or does your fiance have an income? How do you plan to provide for another child?


I agree no one should be living in this house. Is there anywhere else the grandmother can live, perhaps with a relative? If so, she needs to go there. Maybe the house and lot can be sold for just enough to get her into a retirement community or condo. Obviously no one there has the money to have it completely exterminated, have the mold removed, the pipes fixed, and all the other repairs it probably needs.

As for you, you have two children, so you will need some source of income. Your fiance obviously can't support himself, and you and your children, and you cannot bring up your children in a home that has mold, roaches and rats. This is especially dangerous for an infant.

I'm assuming the father, or fathers, aren't paying child support. Is there any way to track them down? Are they unemployed?


You chose a bad time to bring two small children into this world. You don't have a healthy or safe home for them or the money to care for them. You aren't actually married to your fiance yet. And even if he does marry you, he doesn't have the same responsibility to your children as a biological father would, unless he is the father of both kids. And if he is, you must have been aware that he was unable to support them financially.

I'm really not sure what you're going to do about this, but I do know that the grandmother needs to find alternate living arrangements as quickly as possible. This can make her health go downhill fast. And obviously a newborn infant cannot live there.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
March 25, 20150 found this helpful

There are federal housing programs for indigent moms with children. Why don't you inquire about that? And by all means when this next baby comes get yourself fixed!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
February 22, 20160 found this helpful

Please get your water tested. It may not be safe for the children. Is it well or city water.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
December 26, 20160 found this helpful

First I'd like to say nobody needs to be told to get their self fixed with only 2 kids. This girl is asking for help for her kids, and the people in the house.


Some people doesn't know how to live in certain living conditions but let me tell you it happens and it can happen to anyone. Nobody asks to live like that, and.she doesn't like to live the way she is, but we don't know what goes on behind closed doors. She may not have family ,or family that can help
Its hard, very hard to financially pack up and move,if she doesn't have the money to buy traps or poison for the rats and mice or an exterminator , how can she afford to just leave? She's asking.for help, not a condemnation! ! I've been where she's at living in a place that I didn't want to live but due to family and financial situations, I couldn't move for quite awhile.
I think people are to fast to judge people and not know their situation
Obliviously she doesn't want to live with the mold, rats, termites but unfortunately she.has no choice
To answer her, I think the health depth may have rat poison to give out, I know they used to give it out free. But as far.as the termites and.roaches also mice, its not going to get any better if you don't get an exterminator. My mother had termites, they done a lot.of damage like $30,000 , they completely ate the floor out in a bedroom and.also around the 55 gal. Fish aquarium, it litterally fell thru the floor. But if there's any way possible to get am.exterminator.
Call the health depth and talk to them and see if they know of anything. You can get a spray bottle with bleach and ha e someone to spray the mold, that's not good for the babies or for yourself, people die from black mold.
is there anywhere you can apply for emergency housing for you and your kids.Federal housing
I know in our area they have Hud you can get a place to rent.if you have no income they will pay utilities. You can even call social services and see what programs they have or know of also if you get food stamps and.medical ask them if they know of any.programs you definately need to get something done about those rodents, roaches and termites, for your babies
I wish you good luck and.God's blessings.
I will be praying for you and your babies and family
..but please remember if you don't.do something immediately it won't get done (
I'm.sorry for the periods in my text but my.phone is messed up. )

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


In This Page
Better Living CharityMarch 20, 2015
Pest Control
Back to School Ideas!
Summer Ideas!
Coronavirus Tips
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2020-08-04 16:28:09 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.