Home Repair Assistance for Low Income Seniors

I am a 71 year old senior and need help laying flooring and putting in kitchen cabinets. I thought I could do it, but my illness kicked in and stopped the process. We have to have this done by the 29th of September, because we have to be out of where we live now on the 29 of September, 2017. I need an answer ASAP.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

You should probably contact HUD for help. Here is a link:

https://portal.  sfh/title/sfixhs

Try your local churches, someone there might be able to help.

I am afraid you will have a lot of difficulty trying to find someone to do this and complete the job by September 29. You say "we" so I am assuming you have a partner/companion that lives with you. If in fact, you have to move by 9/29 than I believe you should start looking for temporary quarters or make arrangements to stay with friends/relatives. If you are asking for free help then it may take more than a month to even get started with interviews etc.

Step 1
It sounds like you have the flooring and the cabinets and just need help with the labor. You do not say if you are able to pay someone or if you are looking for "free" help but I assume you need help as quickly as possible.

Step 2
Truthfully, free and quick rarely happen together - unless you can get some friends or relatives to help you.

Step 3
My first choice would be for you to contact someone at your church and see if they can help you. Many churches do have members in the construction business and they will occasionally help other members when possible.

Step 4
My next suggestion would be to talk to someone in one of your senior service agencies (all cities have these) to see what suggestions they can offer. They may also be able to help you with temporary housing until your place is livable.

Step 5
Some people suggest placing ads on Freecycle and/or Craigslist (in the free section) but I personally do not feel this is always safe because you have no way to really know who you are talking to someone contacts you.

You can contact other government agencies but your time requirement kinda rules that out.
You can contact your local Habitat for Humanity as they many time help seniors or low income with repairs and they would discuss your problem a lot faster than any regular government agency.