Homemade Banana Cream Pie
This is a wonderful way to put a few bananas to use. This pie has a delicious vanilla pudding made from scratch. If you want to cut major corners, you could just use ready-made pudding to pour over the bananas! You can use your favourite pie crust recipe. I made a simple graham cracker crust.
Total Time: 1 hour plus cooling time
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 1/2 cup finely ground graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 6 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 large bananas
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter until well blended.
- Press mixture into an 8 or 9 inch pan. Bake for about 8 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Mix together the milk, heavy cream, sugar, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until all the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Whisk the egg yolks and cornstarch together in a bowl until thick and smooth.
- Very, very slowly stream in half of the hot milk into the egg mixture while stirring. You're working slowly as not to scramble the egg.
- Now in another very slow stream, whisk the egg yolk mixture into the pan pan of milk. Cook over medium heat until the mixture is thick and bubbly, about a minute.
- Remove the pan from heat. Whisk in the vanilla and butter.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap on top of the warm pudding and gently press in. This will prevent a skin from forming on top of the pudding. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Slice the bananas and place on top of cooled pie crust.
- Sprinkle bananas with cinnamon, then pour the cooled pudding on top.
- Spread pudding evenly on top of bananas.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap on top of the filling. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!