Homemade Craft or Sewing Kits for Kids

Category Gifts
A useful gift for a beginning seamstress, tailor or crafter is a kit with supplies to get them started. This guide is about homemade craft or sewing kits for kids.

You need one flat organizer. These can be found in the craft section of your favorite store, but I have found that they are cheaper if you go to hardware or the sporting goods area and get a tackle box. Fill with alphabet beads, elastic cord, and some crystal beads. This makes for a nice gift for a young girl or guy. For boys add wooden beads.

By Debra in CO

I wish to give something different as gifts, such as sewing kits or craft hobby kits for girls of 6 to 13 years which could be hand-made by me so as to get them interested in sewing or in some craft in the coming year. Could you please help with some ideas to make them as last-minute gifts.

Thank you so much.

By Hafee from Colombo

Answers

This would all depend on if you want to put together a kit on your own or buy one that is already done. I do know of a craft that is real popular among younger, elementary school age kids, and to make it even easier you can now buy looms to make the bracelets. They are made out of really little rubber bands and the loom comes with a fair amount of the rubber bands.

I know Michael's Craft have the looms and I have seen them in the WalMart ads. Also a lot of kids seem to like to make what I call "tie" blankets, where you take two layers of fleece fabric and cut fringes on both layers then tie the two layers together using the fringes that you have cut.

You can buy kits for throws and toss pillows at the discount stores. Some of the little bit older girls are also interested in scrap booking. That being said no matter how you inspire some girls to be interested in sewing or crafts they just aren't going to be interested. I have noticed on the WalMart web site, they sometimes have sewing kits to make purses, etc., other than that I can't think of any sewing kits.

For my kids I used a plasic tackle boxes. They make very good sewin starting kits. You can get them at Walmart. They have different sizes, also.