Homemade Flour Tortillas

I am currently living in Vietnam, where they don't sell tortillas in the supermarket. Street Tacos have been my biggest craving since moving. So, I had to figure out how to make my own tortillas. This is a super easy recipe and they turned out delicious.

1. First mix all the dry ingredients together.
  2. Then add the oil and the warm water.
  3. Mix with a wooden spoon until a ball is formed.
  4. Flour your working surface and knead the dough for 2 minutes.
  5. Place the dough ball back into the bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel and let sit for 30 minutes.
  6. Now, pull off ping pong sized portions from the dough ball and roll them into little balls and place them on a plate.
  7. Once all the little balls are formed place a kitchen towel over them and let sit another 10-15 minutes.
  8. Now its time to roll your tortillas out. On a well floured surface flatten out the balls with your fingers. Cover your rolling pin with a thin layer of flour and roll out dough. You will want them pretty thin, otherwise they will be too doughy. Roll out then flip and rotate the tortilla and roll out again. Continue to do this until it is round and evenly thin. It takes a little practice to getting them round, but even cattywampus tortillas are delicious tortillas!
  9. Heat up your pan on medium high (cast-iron pans are best).
  10. Ad

11. Before putting your tortilla in the pan, wipe off any extra flour on the tortilla. Heat on the ungreased pan for about 1 minute then flip and heat for another 30 seconds. You will need to play with the temperature. If it is too hot your tortilla will burn in spots and if the heat is too low your tortilla will crisp before you get any browning. We want these to come out soft with light browning.
  12. Eat immediately or put them in a plastic bag and put them in the fridge to use with in the next few days. They do dry out pretty fast, so you will need to warm them up in a pan with a little oil.

Oh, wow! I've been wanting to find a good recipe for months. Thank you so much for sharing!

I have been wanting a good tortilla recipe, will definitely try this, thanks!:)

I'm going to try this-I lost my recipe and this looks similar as to how I remember the one I had was....but, I am curious as to why you let them sit when they contain no yeast. I don't remember having to do that before.

April - Even though there is no yeast, the dough needs time to rest so that the gluten forms.