Homemade Flower Barrette

Category Floral
Faux flowers can be reassembled to create pretty flower barrettes. This is a guide about homemade flower barrette.

Do you like all those pretty hair flowers at the mall? Me too! But I refuse to spend $5, $10, or even more on one. That's crazy talk! Especially if you want more than one. You shouldn't have to choose between eating or looking cute.:)

I decided these were way too easy peasy not to try. And they are. With a few supplies, and a few minutes, you will have your very own fashion statement. Granted, they don't all have to be this big, but something about a huge flower on a tiny little person just gets me every time.:) I have made some much smaller ones for myself as well. Once you are over 30, common sense usually sets in.

Make them for you and yours, give them as gifts, sell them at craft fairs, whatever makes you happy. Just go to your local dollar store for supplies first, you will find most of these supplies there. And that is what will keep these fun and cheap.

Total Time: 5 or 10 minutes

Yield: As many as you like!:)

• 1 fake flowers ($1.00)
  • 1 scrap of felt
  • 1 spring clip barrette ($0.05)
  • 1 flat back gems
  • 1 glue gun/glue stick

1. You will begin by plucking your bloom right off the stem. Now please turn your flower over, see the little green bit left?
  2. Pluck that right off as well. Take your flower apart, you will now have various layers of petals.
  3. You will squeeze glue all over the center of your largest flat petal piece, see?
  4. Ad

5. Now take the next largest petal layer and place it over the top of your glued one. Please be sure to use the end of a pen, pencil, or Popsicle stick to smooth your pieces down. Fingers just won't do, trust me, I found out the hard way! This is what you should have now.
  6. Now you will squeeze glue in the center of your top petal layer and place the next largest petal on top and smooth out.
  7. Ad

8. Repeat with your last little petal layer.
  9. Now you will need to cut a coordinating scrap of felt and hot glue this to the back of your entire piece. This serves to give it a nice finished look, especially if you plan to sell them.
  10. Ad

11. Now you will squeeze glue on the back of a spring clip and attach to your felt. Just as a quick tip, you will find packages of these clips on sale pretty often at large craft stores. I stock up when they are 50% off at Hobby Lobby, and my clips end up being a couple pennies each. Just sayin'!
  12. Now flip your flower over and glue either a button, or various tiny little flatback gems. This is what you end up with.

Videos

This beautiful flower barrette is simple to make and is adorable for kids and adults. Check out this video for step by step instructions.