Homemade Gift Ideas for Under $10

Category Homemade
Homemade gifts are great presents to give, but, they aren't always cheaper than store bought ones. Finding things to make for under $10 will allow you to make gifts for all the people you love without breaking the bank. This guide contains homemade gift ideas for under $10.

For my Dad's Birthday last year, I gave him a cookie of the month club. Every month near his birth date, I brought him a batch of cookies, brownies, or bars. He liked it very much and always looked forward to the gifts. This is good because they already own enough stuff and can buy whatever they need. Next year, I'm thinking of candy of the month.

By Karen from Easthampton, MA

When you plant your flower garden, add a few extra rows, make a couple of extra flower beds, or plant some additional container gardens with flowers that can be cut to make a bouquet. When your garden is full of beautiful blooms and you begin cutting some to add beauty inside your home, cut a few more than you need. Place the extra flowers in some glass jars that you have saved or in some empty vegetable or fruit cans. Then deliver your surplus of flowers to a nursing home, assisted living facility, elderly neighbor, or a friend or family member that needs a little cheering up. You can also include aromatic herbs in your flower bouquet.

A tight budget may make it difficult or impossible for you to buy gifts to give someone to brighten their day. Packets of flower seeds are very inexpensive and you get a lot of seeds per pack. Even buying small flowers to put in your garden is relatively inexpensive, especially when you consider the abundance of beauty just a few plants can provide. You can't help but feel good yourself when you brighten someone's day with a beautiful bouquet of flowers from your garden.

By VeronicaHB

If for Christmas, you can buy the clear ornament balls, pour different color paints into them, roll them around in your hands, let each color dry; start with lightest color to end with white. They are really beautiful and very cheap, especially if you get the balls at the end of season. You can add glitter, go wild with your imagination. Be sure to sign them with a fine tip marker.

I was at a discount store and found 4 packages of flower gel for $1. Then I went to the dollar store and bought a tall 3 inch square clear glass vase for $1. I headed over to the grocery store where they sell Bamboo Plant Stems for about $1 each for small ones.

I added water to the gel pack, then placed what I needed in the tall vase and placed the bamboo stems in there. It looks like something you'd buy for a LOT more money. I tied Raffia around it for gift giving. The flower gel was orange and I thought it looked really great with the bamboo. I was only able to find orange, but if you can find different colours you can also make layers of various ones.

*Most gel packages make about 1 litre of gel and I hear it is good for making plants last longer. Best to use with distilled water and the gel is usually bio-degradable. It's best to use the following plants only: bamboo, herbage, arrowroot, amaryllis, palm, dasheen, and fleshy-plants. (plants who can grow in darkness). Because I didn't use the entire package of gel for this, the gift cost me under $4 to make!

Other Ideas: Instead of plants you can place a candle in there as well (for decorative purposes only). I've also seen beautiful seashells mixed with blue gel and votive candles on top:

By Lisa from Halifax, NS

I am looking for gift ideas for around $5 - $10 to make.

Thanks.

By Crystal from Zebulon, NC

Answers

Anonymous

There are some free patterns here for things from clothes to household items, different types of crafts.
http://www.freepatterns.com/

If you crochet, this is a site you can get lost in,
N-JOY!
www.crochetpatterncentral.com

If you knit or crochet, washcloths are a great, great gift. You can make 2 from one ball of $3 cotton yarn. You can find free patterns at: www.lionbrand.com and www.ravelry.com

I need to make a cool little craft for the cast of Singing in the Rain, the play, and I can't seem to think of anything. Could you help me?

By Shae

Answers

How about a little snowglobe (you can make them with babyfood jars) with silver glitter (to look more like rain) and a little scene that either looks like a scene from Singing in the Rain or an umbrella and the words Singing in the Rain? I think you might be able to get umbrellas in the wedding shower section of a party store. These umbrellas are cute too, maybe you can do something with them? I found them at babyfavorsandthings.com

How about a little snowglobe (you can make them with babyfood jars) with silver glitter (to look more like rain) and a little scene that either looks like a scene from Singing in the Rain or an umbrella and the words Singing in the Rain? I think you might be able to get umbrellas in the wedding shower section of a party store. These umbrellas are cute too, maybe you can do something with them?

Get inexpensive umbrellas and fabric paints and let the cast decorate them. Or small styro balls or weaths and lots of paper umbrellas(like those used for cocktails and some craft glue and paints and some string or cord. Paint the styro shape and let dry. Open umbrellas and dip the end of the handle in glue, stick into syro shape to cover. Tie loop of cord and glue to back or top to hang if desired. U may want to put a drop of glue on the mechanism that opens each umbrella as well to keep it from closing.

I am looking for any primitive or country style wreath ideas. I am also looking for other gift ideas for around $5 - $10 to make.

Thanks.

By Crystal from Zebulon, NC

Answers

I like covering notebooks in pretty fabric and then buying pretty pens to go with them. I am crazy over fabric! I only buy the dollar or less remnant pieces at Wal-mart.

Blessings,

Robyn

Twigs strung together artfully with twist-ties and painted silver or white can be gorgeous wreaths.