Homemade Tocino (Spanish Bacon)
This favorite breakfast dish from the Philippines is actually a carryover from Spanish influence in the country. It can be prepared using pork bellies, chicken, or beef marinated in a tasty sauce, simmered, and then lightly fried. The recipe can be found below.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Tocino is famous in this country and is mostly served during breakfast time. Upon searching the Web, I found out that it is actually not an original dish from the Philippines. According to history of this country, we were influenced a lot by the Spanish people from words, clothing, and dishes/recipes and in many other aspects.
Tocino is known as the Spanish bacon. To us, it's a special breakfast treat, a must have on our tables. Today, we have different versions and variations as we also use chicken and beef for this recipe.
- 250 g pork belly
- 3 chicken drumsticks (breast fillet is best)
- 1/4 cup chopped or minced red onion
- 1/4 cup garlic chopped
- 2 tsp powdered black pepper
- 1 inch ginger, sliced into thin strips
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 60 g Tocino mix*
* If Tocino mix is not available, mix together 1 Tbsp. honey, 2 Tbsp. oyster sauce and 1 tsp. vinegar. Use this mixture as substitute for Tocino seasoning mix.
- Slice pork very thinly.
- Slice the drumstick open. If you use breast fillet, slice it thinly just like the pork.
- Pour vinegar or lemon juice and soy sauce then sprinkle with powdered black pepper.
- Add the onions, garlic and ginger.
- Mix well then add brown sugar and salt.
- Continue to mix. Now, time to pour Tocino mix.
- Mix and rub the meat with marinade. Leave for at least 1 hour. For best results and better taste marinate overnight.
- To cook, arrange meat in pan and pour 1/4 cup water.
- Simmer until water is reduced.
- Pour 1 Tbsp. oil and fry for 1 minute or until sides are crisp and sauce coats well with the meat.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.