Homemade Vegetable Trellises

Does anyone have any ideas on making homemade trellises for the veggies to climb up in my garden?

By Linda Delcamp from Brighton, MI

A good resource for ideas is www.motherearthnews.com/ . Look in their archives for trellises and other kinds of plant supports. They will give you instructions plus photos for many different kinds, from plain to fancy.

Put some posts in your garden - they can be store bought dowels, or bamboo, or old broom handles, just whatever you want to use. Tie string, twine, or rope horizontally between the posts. Then tie strings all along the horizontal piece to hang vertically down to the ground - you can stake them or put rocks on top to keep them straight.

Train your veggies to grow up these strings. Of course, this is not pretty, it is just practical and cheap.

I used 2 small iron rebars and sunk them in the ground about half way. I then used some electrical conduit cut to the height I wanted the trellis to be. Add a cross piece and 2 elbows and you have a frame from conduit that sure looks different.Just slip it over the rebar and you've got your frame. If I have netting I use it with zip ties. If not, twine from a stake in the ground to the top of the conduit and down again. Works fine for my cucumbers and pole beans.

Make a small fence for them to grow on. I took a couple of pieces of pipe and drove them into the ground about 6' apart and tied a old piece of mesh fence to them with plastic zip ties.

You could use steel fence post and chain link fence also.

For my cucumbers and peas I used tomato cages.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceJune 3, 2011
🍀
💘