Homemade Wheat Thins Recipes
Making your own crackers can be delicious and fun. This page contains homemade wheat thins recipes
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
For babies 8 months and up.
- 3 cups uncooked oatmeal
- 2 cups unbleached white four (may substitute 1 cup whole wheat flour for the white)
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt (not necessary - omit if you choose)
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1 cup water
Mix all together, and roll out onto 2 cookie sheets. Sprinkle with salt. Lightly roll again to press salt in. Cut into squares or diamonds - a pizza cutter works well.
Bake at 350 degrees F. After 15 minutes begin checking the crackers and remove the ones that are golden brown and hard. Continue checking every 3-5 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds before baking.
By Irishwitch from Aurora, CO
My daughter and her family love Wheat Thins, which are not cheap and, I am sure, not all that healthy. After many many mistakes, I finally came up with a recipe that works!
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cup white flour
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup water
- In a large mixing bowl, mix both of the flours.
- In separate bowl blend the oil, salt, and water.
- Add to the flour, mixing well.
- Roll as thin as possible on a cookie sheet - not more than an 1/8 inch thick.
- With a knife, mark the size crackers you want. Be careful not to cut all the way.
- Prick each cracker a few times with fork. Sprinkle lightly with salt or onion salt.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes, until crisp and light brown.
- Cool, then separate into crackers.