Recipes Using Bulgur Wheat

Category Side Dishes
Dish of bulgur salad.
Bulgur wheat is parboiled and then dried. This whole grain pairs well with Middle Eastern and Asian dishes. This page contains recipes using bulgur wheat.

• 1 onion
  • 1 Tbsp. oil
  • 2 Tbsp. flaked almonds
  • 2 Tbsp. pine nuts
  • 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds
  • 8 oz. Bulgar wheat
  • 1 pint chicken stock
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley

Directions:

Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover with clean kitchen towel. Set aside for 10 minutes Sprinkle with parsley and serve.

Source: Passed to me by a friend

By mary of lourdes from Ireland - Nurry

Rinse and drain bulgar; place in a bowl. Stir in the boiling water. Cover and let stand for 1 hour or until liquid is absorbed. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the onion, salt, and allspice; let stand 30 minutes.

Ingredients

• 2 cups chicken stock
  • 1 cup bulgur
  • 4 large green bell pepper (cooked, tops cut off, seeded)
  • 1/2 lb. bulk Italian sausage
  • 1 cup onion (cooked, chopped)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 lb. tomato sauce
  • 1/4 tsp. dried thyme

Directions

Bring stock to a boil in a heavy saucepan. Stir in bulgur and salt and pepper to taste. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 8-10 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and bulgur is fluffy. Remove from heat and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Cook peppers 3 minutes to blanch. Remove peppers from water and rinse under cold running water. Set aside. Heat a heavy nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Cook sausage, onion and garlic 4-5 minutes, until onion is tender and sausage is no longer pink. Discard drippings. Stir in bulgur, tomato sauce and thyme. Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook 2 minutes, until heated through. Spoon into peppers. Arrange in a baking dish. Cover and bake 25-30 minutes.

Source: Source Nubella.com

By Liz from Bisbee, AZ

Ingredients

• 1 cup dry bulgar wheat
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 2 Tbsp. oil
  • 1 Tbsp. salt
  • 2 packages dry yeast
  • 7 1/2-8 cups flour

Directions

Combine first 4 ingredients and 3 cups boiling water to large bowl; cool to lukewarm. Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add to cooled bulgar mixture, mixing well. Add flour by thirds, beating well after each addition. Knead on lightly floured surface for 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease surface. Let rise, covered, in warm place for 2 hours or until doubled in bulk. Punch dough down and shape into 2 loaves. Place in greased 9x5 inch loaf pan. Let rise, covered, for 1 hour or until doubled in bulk. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-50 minutes. Brush with butter.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Claire Bush0 found this helpful

This Middle Eastern side dish looks elegant, but is very simple to prepare. Use the smaller amount of oil for a lowfat, but still flavorful, version. Good with lamb chops or barbecued chicken.

Plate of tabouli.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Does anyone have a dynamite recipe for tabouli? I have tried the Near East mix, but I'd like to try one from scratch that has bulgher wheat, tiny chopped green onions, cucumbers, tomatoes, parsley, lemon and a LOT of flavor!

Thanks!
Mary Jo from St. Paul, MN

Try AllRecipes.com, they have lots of recipes.

Here's my recipe - my family loves it!!! It's quite lemony. Enjoy:-)

1 bunch of parsley, cleaned well and chopped (don't use the ends though)

1 bunch of green onions, cleaned and chopped

3 good size pickles

2 good size tomatoes

1 c bulgar, soaked about 2 hours in warm water and drained

Juice of 6 lemons (or to your taste)

4 T oil

salt & pepper

Combine all ingredients and refrigerate for about 4 hours or overnight.

Blech, don't eat that stuff outta the box!!!

Cook tabouli, add chopped parsley (I like to add when sorta warm, it brings out the parsley flavor and really soaks into the tabouli), add chopped tomatoes and finely chopped onions ( use whatever your liking), squirt lots of lemon, use kosher or sea salt and pepper to taste. Let marinate for at least a few hours before eating (in the fridge of course!). Some add chopped mint/spearmint too.

Hi ,Here is a great recipe from its original homeland.

I'm a Lebanese andI know how delicious Tabouli is if it is prepared well.

Tabouli

2 large bunches of Italian parsley, washed, dried and chopped finely

1 small shallot, peeled and sliced finely

1/2 pound red tomatoes finely diced

2 tbsps.fresh finely chopped mint

1 tbsp. fine bulgher soaked in water for 20 minutes

1/2 tsp salt

1/8 tsp black pepper freshly ground

4 tbsps.lemon juice

6 tbsps extra virgin olive oil

Preparation:

Take the Italian parsley and form them into nice bunches .Chop the parsley finely then wash them very well and leave them in a strainer to drain all excess water.

Wash the tomatoes then dice them into small cubes. Put the tomatoes in a large bowl.

Peel and chop the shallot. Put the shallot with the tomatoes and then sprinkle all the salt and pepper over the chopped shallot.

Wash and pat dry the mint leaves. Chop the mint leaves and add to the bowl.

Strain the soaked bulgher and squeeze very well to remove excess water. Add to the bowl.

At this stage add the parsley then the lemon juice and olive oil.

Mix all the ingredients together.

Taste a spoonful and add morelemon juice or salt according to personal taste.

Tabbouleh

Preparation: 15 minutes plus soaking

Serves:6

Cooking time: 0 minutes

3oz fine bulgher wheat

1 cup coarsely chopped Italian parsley

3 tbsps.chopped fresh mint

4 spring onions, chopped

1 cucumber, finely diced

1/2 lb finely diced red tomatoes

3 tbsps.olive oil

Juice of 1 lemon

1/8 tsp.black pepper

1/2 tsp salt

Preparation:

Soak the bulgher for 30 minutes in cold water. After that time, drain and squeeze out as much water as possible. Put the soaked wheat in a large bowl.

Wash and dice the tomatoes. Chop the spring onions finely. Add them to the bowl along with the remaining ingredients.

Mix all the ingredients well.

Taste and then more lemon juice or salt if needed.

Serve cold.

I hope you will enjoy preparing these recipes.

Bon Apetit.

One of my favorite recipes and extremely easy is to follow the recipe on the package with adding water, cucumber, and tomatoes, but then instead of lemon and olive oil, I substitute the same amount of Italian dressing. It is very flavorful.

Hi Mary Jo,

This is not completely homemade but I start with a box of Tabouli Salad by Fantastic Foods.It has more flavor than Near East.In fact so much that I add more plain bulghur wheat to it(about as much or a little less than what's in the box).I follow directions but double the water.Then I add my own vegetables like cucumbers and tomatoes and black olives.I have not been able to reproduce the great flavor on homemade recipes. Good luck!

Thanks to all of you for your recommendations.....I have all the ingredients, except I forgot the mint!! I'll try making it from scratch over the 4th of July. Thanks again, all! Mary Jo