ChineseInternational

Hot Pot

When going out to eat hot pot, it could easily be $15-30 per person. You can easily prepare hot pot at home for less. What I love about hot pot is that it is very customizable. You can add anything in the broth from meats, vegetables, seafood or noodles.

Prep Time: 10-15 minutes

Cook Time: Varies

Yield: Up to 10 people

1. Chop scallions. Separate the whites for the broth. The greens you can use for a different recipe or meal.
  2. You will need an entire bulb of garlic. Peel the garlic and smash. This will go in the broth for additional flavor. You can add more garlic, if you are a garlic fan like I am.
  3. Wash and slice mushrooms.
  4. Ad

5. I used a Cuisinart Fondue for our hot pot meal, easy to put at the center of the table, but you can make hot pot over an induction stove or portable stove. The idea of hot pot is to eat as the broth is simmering while dipping to cook your option of meats, vegetables, and/or noodles.
  6. Follow the instructions of your broth packet and add accordingly. For ours we added about 2.5 quarts of water, 1/3 packet, garlic and scallion whites - allow to simmer.
  7. When boiling, add in your choice of meats, vegetables and noodles. Ours was simple - snow peas, mushrooms and shaved steak.
  8. You will need a small strainer to grab the food when its cooked. Repeat until you have cooked all your food.

Note: An entire packet for the broth is good for up to 8-10 people but I only about 1/3 of the packet for 3 people.

Where can I get the hot pot soup base? If unavailable what is a recipe for it? I've made hot pot in an electric skillet.Easier to
Control the tempeture

The hot pot base can be found at your local Asian markets in the hot pot section. Ive never made the base from scratch before. Induction stoves works sell for hot pot as well. :)