Main DishesRecipes

Mongolian Hot Pot

One of my absolute favourite winter month indulgences is Mongolian hot pot, where everyone gathers around a big pot of boiling broth, cooking fresh meats and vegetables, then dipping them into a soy-vinegar based sauce. I used to go to restaurants to enjoy this, but it started becoming incredibly costly, about $35 per person. Now I can feed my whole family this meal with less than that cost.

I use my electric shabu shabu hot pot (acquired from Amazon) but you could also use something like a fondue pot. You can get real creative with what you use to dip in the broth - whatever floats your boat!

Prep Time: 1 hour for broth to set up

Cook Time: 1 hour of table enjoyment

Yield: 4-5 servings

1. Place chicken carcass, garlic cloves, cardamom pods, jujubes, leeks, dried shiitakes, kombu sheets, onion, peppercorns, chili peppers, carrot and ginger into a large pot and cover with water.
  2. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and allow to cook for about 1 hour. Add salt to taste.
  3. Chop all the meat and vegetables into bite sized pieces and place in a tray to set at the table.
  4. Strain the broth and transfer to your table's hot pot and bring back to a simmer.
  5. Start by adding things like the mushrooms to the hot pot as this will give the broth more depth in flavour. These will be part of what you dip in your sauce to eat, too!
  6. Add the rest of the noodles, meat and veg in little increments as not to overload the pot for even cooking. Fishcakes don't need much time at all. Keep an eye on the meats to make sure they are fully cooked before enjoying.
  7. We make our own dipping sauces at the table since we all have our own taste preferences, especially with heat. We use soy sauce, vinegar, a bit of sugar, and hot chili oil. Mix these all together in a small dish and dip the cooked meat, noodles and veg into it before enjoying.
  8. Make sure you get a good amount of the broth in your bowl, too. The flavours keep developing the more you dip things into it. It is so comforting and amazing. Have a big spoon handy and enjoy!

Yum! I love hotpot but I have never tried Mongolian Hotpot, thanks for sharing.

I hope you try it. :) My favourite thing about making this is the broth gets yummier and yummier by the minute! That and the company around the table working together to cook and eat. So fun.