Curry Chicken and Cabbage Recipe
Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 162 Posts
January 7, 2015
My husband doesn't normally like curry, but the curry flavor in this dish is pretty mild and he raved about it. I paired it with curry cabbage making for a very light and filling dinner.
Total Time: 45 minutes
Source: Weight Watchers and my mom
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp curry powder (or Garam Marsala)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- 2 cups hot cooked brown or yellow rice
- Curry Cabbage
- 1 head cabbage, sliced
- 3 cups chicken broth (remainder of container)
- 2 Tbsp curry
- With side of large knife, mash garlic with salt on cutting board until it forms a paste.
- Heat 2 tsp. of oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic paste, ginger and curry; and stir. (At this point the recipe says to remove onion mixture from pan before continuing, but I did not).
- Add remaining oil and chicken to skillet. Cook chicken turning until lightly browned on each side, about 4 minutes.
- Add broth, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Transfer chicken to a pan to keep warm.
- Add yogurt and simmer until thickened (the recipe says to boil the broth until reduced by half and whisk in yogurt after removing from heat).
- Plate chicken over rice, spoon 1/4 cup sauce over chicken and sprinkle with cilantro if desired.
- I served with curry cabbage which I make by boiling a head of sliced cabbage in 3 cups chicken broth (remainder of container) and 2 Tbsp. curry until cooked through. It will turn a great neon color, which I thought was so cool when my mom would make curried cabbage and chicken when I was a kid!
This is a variation on a Weight Watchers Recipe. A serving of 1 chicken breast, 1/4 cup sauce, and 1/2 cup rice, has 361 calories, 9 grams fat, 31 grams carbs, 3 grams fiber, and 38 grams protein.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.