My husband doesn't normally like curry, but the curry flavor in this dish is pretty mild and he raved about it. I paired it with curry cabbage making for a very light and filling dinner.
Total Time: 45 minutes
Source: Weight Watchers and my mom
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp curry powder (or Garam Marsala)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- 2 cups hot cooked brown or yellow rice
- Curry Cabbage
- 1 head cabbage, sliced
- 3 cups chicken broth (remainder of container)
- 2 Tbsp curry
- With side of large knife, mash garlic with salt on cutting board until it forms a paste.
- Heat 2 tsp. of oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic paste, ginger and curry; and stir. (At this point the recipe says to remove onion mixture from pan before continuing, but I did not).
- Add remaining oil and chicken to skillet. Cook chicken turning until lightly browned on each side, about 4 minutes.
- Add broth, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Transfer chicken to a pan to keep warm.
- Add yogurt and simmer until thickened (the recipe says to boil the broth until reduced by half and whisk in yogurt after removing from heat).
- Plate chicken over rice, spoon 1/4 cup sauce over chicken and sprinkle with cilantro if desired.
- I served with curry cabbage which I make by boiling a head of sliced cabbage in 3 cups chicken broth (remainder of container) and 2 Tbsp. curry until cooked through. It will turn a great neon color, which I thought was so cool when my mom would make curried cabbage and chicken when I was a kid!
This is a variation on a Weight Watchers Recipe. A serving of 1 chicken breast, 1/4 cup sauce, and 1/2 cup rice, has 361 calories, 9 grams fat, 31 grams carbs, 3 grams fiber, and 38 grams protein.