How Are You Using Your Stimulus Payment?

Many U.S. citizens are receiving money from the government this week, in order to stimulate the economy and help struggling families during the COVID-19 pandemic. This is a big help for many people, including my family. I'm using about half of the payment to cover an upcoming surgery and the other half will pay off a hospital stay from last February.

Every family has different needs. Some will use the money to cover bills or pay off debts, others will use it for needed home or auto repairs or to purchase a big ticket item that will make life easier. Please share your own ways to use this windfall (or any other) to the best advantage.

Editor's Note: ThriftyFun is a non-political site dedicated to frugal living. We are looking for financial advice, not political opinions regarding the stimulus.

Anonymous

Paying off bills

I'm having some pine trees cut down before hurricane season arrives.

I'm okay financially, so I'm giving some $$ to an elderly neighbor who is struggling, and the rest will be divided between a few charities I always give to.

That's a smart thing to do. I live in an area with lots of trees but luckily, there are no tall trees in my yard or my surrounding neighbors.

That's a wonderful and generous thing to do. I know that the need is great and charitable giving is down right now due to a lot of tight budgets.

Any money received from 'unexpected' sources always goes straight to my 'emergency' savings fund as it is rare that some type of emergency situation does not happen at least once per year.
This extra money helps me be able to keep my regular savings in tact.

You are right. I cannot tell you how many times I buy something I don't really need for $50 or $100 or even $500 only to get a unexpected bill or emergency that costs about the same.

I am sharing part of my stimulus check w/my 4 grandsons, 3 of which are in college.

Budget & Finance AdviceMarch 18, 2021
🌻
🐰
👒
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/How-Are-You-Using-Your-Stimulus-Payment.html