Removing Cooking Oil Stains From a Wooden Floor?

Some oil leaked from a bag I put on the floor, about a month ago. The oil has leaked into the wood, leaving a dark stain. I've looked up various remedies online but have not found a clear solution, and I don't want to go messing around with the floor until I know what I'm doing. The stain is about 10 inches by 20, made with some kind of edible oil, probably olive, the stain has been there for a month without treatment, and the floor is in pretty bad condition to begin with.

It was lightly varnished a long time ago with some kind of clear finish, but the varnish is very thin now over most of the floor. I would very very much appreciate some well informed advice on this.

Answers

Oh Lucy,

What a pickle you're in...

I suggest trying the stuff a garage uses to eat oil up... Try it with a thickish layer and a board layed over it for abit of pressure...

Next i would ask a few floor refinishers... They may say to sand it 1st then do something...

Home Depot or Lowes may have ideas for you...

Flour is used to absorb oil in the kitchen, maybe that will work...

Shampoo takes hair and skin oil out of collars, i wonder if it may help your floor...

I'm so sorry this happened to your floor... I wish you luck in getting it out...

Christie

Just heard on HGTV... A homeowner used cornstarch on a huge oil spot in the wood floor from vegetable oil...

I have used white vinegar and water to mop my hardwood floor. I would try that and perhaps mix a bit of baking soda with the vinegar. Its all natural and both are excellent cleansers - which shouldn't hurt your floor.

I've used that on my car interior, carpets, etc. It won't change the color of your hardwood or hurt the wood.

If that doesn't work after letting it dry completely throughout the wood...I would lightly sand the wood with a fine sandpaper and revarnish just that area (even with a spray).

By brandy. (Guest Post)

To Lucy and everyone; I tried vinegar to remove cooking oil from my hardwood floor. After soaking the stain twice I saw no change.

Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsSeptember 23, 2021
🌻
🎂
🎃
https://www.thriftyfun.com/How-Do-I-Remove-Cooking-Oil-Stains-From-a-Wooden-Floor-1.html