HealthDogs

How Is Parvo Transmitted?

My brother had a puppy that passed away about 4 days ago from parvo. Before we found out he had parvo, he had diarrhea really bad, but we didn't know at the the time that is what he had. I cleaned up the mess and walked on the floor after I cleaned. My puppy has never been to my brother's house and was never around his dog. He woke up this morning and vomited 4 times in a row and then stopped. Now he is just laying around and hasn't eaten anything all day. Is there a chance that he has parvo?

The parvo virus is very contagious. Your dog could have picked it up from germs tracked in my you. Call a vet ASAP.

Thank you Judy. We took him in to the vet this morning and he does have Parvo. He is going to need lots of fluids and some medication

I'm so glad you acted on this quickly. Your puppy will have a good chance because of it. Good Vet care and good nursing make the difference for these little guys. There is no way to know if your puppy picked this up in the environment or elsewhere. Parvo is very contagious and persists in the environment for many months.

It is very difficult to avoid it. The only real protection is vaccination. Pay close attention to your Vets advice. If new symptoms occur, check with your Vet right away to see if you need to change your treatment. The 1st week with parvo is the worst and it can easily last up to a month as the puppy heals slowly. Good luck to you and let us know how things turn out.

Post back with an update! That is so scary that this happened.

Prayers for your pup!!

Everyone sincerely hopes your puppy will be okay.
I'm hoping that since you caught it very early there is a very good chance the virus did not have time to do so much damage.

Please be sure that you follow all instructions and if you have any questions call your vet right away.

The after clean up is also very important so be sure to check vet's websites for full instructions on how to eliminate the virus from your home and yard.

After your puppy recovers he will be immune to Parvo but the virus can still be transmitted to other dogs.

Thank you all got your kind words and advice. I am happy to say that my fur baby came home on Tuesday. He is very active and is slowly starting to get back to his normal appetite. The vet tried really hard to tell me that it wasnt my fault that he got sick but it was really hard to swallow. I didnt realize how bad that virus is but they told me that we caught it early and they were about 85% sure he would make it. And he did! I really do appreciate you all!

Prayers will continue! You did everything right! Sounds like you have a great vet!!

Pets Dogs HealthAugust 1, 2019
😎
🌻
🐛
📓