AdviceDogs

How is Parvo Transmitted?

Can an adult dog with up to date shots carry and give Parvo to a puppy who has just had its puppy shots? I had a Border Collie puppy that died of Parvo, and I wondered how it got it. I had raised my Border Collie, and it hadn't gone anywhere or have any contact with other dogs besides my 10 month old Great Dane and my 3 year old Border Collie. The only place that they have gone is to dog practice, and I didn't know if they could have picked up the virus from a dog there and brought it back to infect my puppy. I live on a ranch 8 miles out of town, and our closest neighbor lives a mile away from us. I don't have any idea how my puppy got Parvo.

By Lenaya

I had a cat that died from parvo. My vet said it is airborne.

Parvo vaccines often give parvo. A fresh vaccine can often spread to dogs around the freshly vaccinated animal. Build immune system with good diet and care. Please do not destroy immune system with vaccines. Been there. Step grandson died 3 days after vaccine. I have MS from a vaccine. Google anti vaccine sites. Get ingredients of vaccines and you will see how they destroy. Included in ingredients, mercury( now called thimerisol) formaldehyde, aluminum, antifreeze, human fetal cells, rotting monkey brains and kidneys, animal pus and other disgusting, sickening ingredients. No grocery store Purina foods. Home prepared is best or specialty foods from good source like groomers or health food store. No corn, wheat or soy (not even in their cookies). Better food may cost a little more but you save because they are satisfied and eat less. Allergies clear up. Better, happier, healthier pet.

Please don't listen to advice that says not to vaccinate your pet. Parvo is an extremely virulent deadly disease. It is very, very contagious. There are other deadly diseases your dog must be vaccinated from, including rabies and distemper.

Treatment for dogs that contract Parvo runs into the hundreds of dollars, and sometimes after your best efforts the dog will die anyway. Also, unvaccinated pets can spread Parvo and distemper to others' pets, causing them the same hardship.

To answer the original question: The virus is extremely hardy and has been found to survive in feces and other organic material such as soil for over a year. It survives extremely cold and hot temperatures. That means that a dog with parvo, possibly a stray, probably defecated in your yard. The older dogs didn't catch it because their immune systems are stronger.

There is also the possibility of a bad batch of vaccine being administered to your puppy, causing the illness. But keep in mind this is very rare.