How to Make a Crocheted Turtle
You can use your crochet skills to make lots of cute animals; this turtle is especially adorable. This is a guide about how to make a crocheted turtle.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
With some scrap yarn and about 1 hour of time you can make this turtle. It's super cute and really easy.
Total Time: 1 hour
- 20 yd three colors of scrap yarn ($.25)
- size I hook
- darning needle
- 1/2 oz batting or scrap yarn to stuff
- With your hook and yarn, chain 2 and make 6 singles in the first stitch for 6. Join and chain 1, making 2 singles in each around for 12. Join and cut tail. Work into the back.
- With your second color, join in any stitch around and make a single in the next stitch.
- Make a chain 1 and make 2 stitches in one, then 1 in another around. You should have 21 stitches. Add on your first color again. Then, make a half double in the next stitch down into the center of the work, the actual center hole. It should look like a little citrus wedge.
- With the first color back on, make a single in 2 and another half double down into the first half double. You will again have 6 half doubles actually drawn up into the center of the one below it. Join at the end and break off and tie the tails.
- On any stitch, add on the head and feet color. For the tail, chain 2 and make a slip stitch in the same stitch you joined in. It will be very tiny. Then make a single crochet in each of the next 2 stitches. Slip stitch into the next one and make a cluster stitch: Yarn over and make a double in the stitch you slip stitched into, yarn over and only pull through two of three loops, then do two more in the same stitch, each time leaving on a loop. On the last one, yarn over and draw through all 5. Make a single crochet and then slip stitch into the same stitch. You have made your first foot.
- Make another leg in 3 more stitches then the head in three more: Making sure your head is exactly opposite of the tail, do this.
- Chain 3 and make 5 more doubles in the same stitch. Take the hook out, put it back into the top of the first double, then hook it back into the top of the 6th double and draw them closed.
- Chain 1 and slip stitch in the same stitch. Continue to make the last two legs. Work in the tails and you are ready to make the belly.
- For the belly, chain 2 and make 6 doubles and join. Then, chain 2 and make 2 doubles in each, leaving a tail for sewing. With a bit of batting, begin at the tail and sew your belly to your back.
- With either black or another of the two shell colors, insert your needle to the back underneath of the head. Pull your yarn into where the eye would be and make a three over (and over and over) loop and draw it taught for the eye. Do this again on the other side, and bring the tails back through the bottom and trim. N-JOY!!