OtherRepair

How to Patch Tears in Rubber Gloves

Vote for this contest contender!

There's nothing more irritating than feeling your gloves suddenly fill up with water while you're doing the dishes. In the past, I've either spent loads on cheap gloves, or tried to pay more for better gloves, only to find they lasted maybe a few weeks longer. Now, when I encounter tears and holes in my rubber gloves, I immediately patch them up. I use a small piece from an inconspicuous area of the glove, then patch the tear with Gorilla Glue, which is weather resistant and waterproof. I've been saving so much money this way. Here's how to do it.

Total Time: 5 minutes plus dry time

1. To create the patch piece, cut a small piece of the glove from an inconspicuous area the same size and shape of the tear, but a little bigger.
  2. Make sure the glove is laying flat where the tear is so it's as closed up as possible. Dab on a drop or two of Gorilla Glue, then place the patch on top.
  3. Put a piece of plastic wrap over the patched area so you can press down on the patch and glove without getting glue everywhere. Cover with a heavy object or use clothespin to pinch them closed. Allow to dry for at least 45 minutes, then peel off the plastic wrap.

Good tip. But, I find that as cheap as they are, I save the unscathed one. Then, when it's needed, I simply pair it with a new one on the proper hand, or turn it inside out if I need to cover the other hand.

Nice! I will keep them as long as they haven't gone to the dark side!! Mold etc ;)

Good repair tip...Handy in a pinch.

Literally, a pinch! It's so pleasing to peel the plastic wrap when it's done and it's all fixed :)

Instead of cutting a piece in an inconspicuous spot to repair the glove, I make a patch from an old glove that can't be repaired anymore. I keep the old ones for patchwork.

Glad you patch as well!