How to Remove Vaseline Stains on Clothing

Because it is petroleum based, Vaseline leaves an oil based stain on clothing that can be problematic to remove. This is a guide about how to remove Vaseline stains on clothing.

How do you get a Vaseline (regular) stain out of clothing? I would like to know what pre-treatment is necessary before washing.

Wendy from Georgia

Answers

Best Answer

Dawn dishwashing liquid works well. I've also had good luck with Shout removing most grease type stains. If it doesn't come out the first time, just repeat as above.

I need to get out some Vaseline from a previous washed and dried cotton blue outfit. This is an 1 piece outfit from Gymboree. He was playing with a tube of Petroleum Jelly.

Monica West from Macon, GA

Answers:

Dawn Dishsoap

I've had really good luck using Dawn to cut any greasy stain. Just rub it in and allow to set a while before laundering. If it doesn't work, you can still us it to do dishes, so no money will be wasted. I also use it instead of Woolite for delicates.

By susan

WD-40

WD-40, then Ultra dawn, then regular wash. Rinse well. Wash twice if necessary. Spray outside.

By Lynda

I work in a nursing home and get Vaseline type substance on my uniform. It looks like a grease mark. To get it out of clothes use scrubbing bubbles to pretreat then wash as usual, gets stain out lickity split!

By Stardaze from Buffalo NY

More Answers:

Awesome Cleaner

I found a cleaner at the dollar store called awesome cleaner, so far it has worked better on laundry than many spray and wash type products. Mean Green is also a good one.

By Shirley

Cornstarch

Cornstarch works for getting Vaseline out of hair. Two of my kids just recently coated each other's hair with vaseline and cornstarch was the only thing that worked. I had to treat my daughter's hair three times (long hair) and my son's twice but it worked. Haven't tried cleaning their clothes yet.

By Granny

GOOP

"GOOP" hand cleaner removes 'grease' or oil type stains from clothing & fabrics. I agree with the writer that say's: "Awesome" (from the dollar store) is a totally awesome cleaner and thank you for the hint of using "Scrubbing Bubbles" bathroom cleaner to remove Vaseline from clothing, I bet it would also work for other oil's and maybe even remove grease too!

By Cyinda