Identifying Small Black Biting Bugs

We spent a week in an apartment in Paris where I woke up almost every morning with very itchy bites - definitely not bedbugs. I finally found mostly dead little black bugs, no wings, about 1/4 inch in length, on the white tile floor near an outlet. They were renovating the apartment next door, and my theory is that they sprayed, and these bugs came through an outlet in the very old building. But what were they?

I put them in a sealed plastic bag and gave them to the owner, but she has had no luck in identifying them. I would love to be the one who is able to identify them for her.
Thank you...someone!

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

The owner can take the bugs to a pest control company for possible identification. Another possibility is a university entomology department.

Thanks for your response. I'm not sure the owner will follow up on this, but your idea about the university entomology department was very helpful, and I was able to find someone who will try to identify them from my blurry photo. At least they were not bedbugs, and didn't come home with us.

Entomologist at UTD could not tell what they are. Dermatologist thinks Iam nuts. Sores from bites for 2 years now, even with 3 doses of Ivermectin and 4 of various antibiotics. Still have the bites/scars. First noticed after going through very old cardboard boxes at work.

When the owner puts the bugs in a sealed plastic bag, make sure she doesn't crush them. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe it's a bug not in the United States.

Merchant beetles