House PlantsGardening

Identifying White Bumps on Fern Stalks

I rescued a fern a few years ago. This year it has sort of skeletal branches with tiny white blobs along the stalks instead of leaves. Is this seed?

It looks like a scale insect. Use an insecticide

I don't think it is scale insects. It's only on two of the fronds and regularly spaced on the stem. The other stems have usual leaves and no blobs. Thanks anyway.
Marg from England.

Ferns don't seed that I know of since they don't flower. They spore. This site shows photos...but I am not sure yours look like theirs.

theseedsite.co.uk/ferns.html

Is it possible you have salting from too much water (minerals in the water)? In Pgh we have very "hard" water, and when I start plant in glasses, the water "salts" the glasses, and sometimes the plants when it dries out

Could that be what you have happening? Just a thought.

Do you have an Agriculture co-op like we have in the US where you could send your photos? Ours are so helpful!

Post back what you learn!

Hello ! It is not a fern, it is a palm tree, actually a dwarf palm tree

called Neanthe Bella,or parlor palm and by its scientific name: Chamaedorea elegans. The white spots are in fact slightly yellow and they are its flowers which sometimes (rarely) turn into tiny fruits.

I didn't even think of palm! Of course it is! Thanks for the info. Do they always flower like this, I wonder?
Marg

yes this is not behaving like a fern at all. Ferns are a very ancient plant form and have absolutely no flowering or budding. The grown-up version of the fern is actually the seeding phase of the plant, which is reverse from normal flowering plants.

Thanks everybody.
Marg

Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsJanuary 18, 2019
🎂
🌻
🎃