Identifying a Black Snake

I don't have a picture of the snake. My son and daughter-in-law were walking on a trail in Zebulon, NC yesterday. They almost stepped on a black snake that was about 4 feet long. It was solid black with a diamond shaped head. My son stepped on a stick that actually bumped the snake. It coiled up and struck at the stick. They told me that the inside of the snake's mouth was also black. The snakes eyes were shaped like a cat's eyes. Can someone please tell me what kind of snake this is and if it is poisonous.

Thanks.

It could be a rat snake. They are not poisonous.

I've dealt with rat snakes before and know that they will usually not coil up and strike. They usually try to escape.
This snake, from what I was told, went straight to attack mode. It didn't try to escape.
My Son told me that the eyes were cat like and the head was diamond shaped. It's my understanding that rat snakes have round eyes.
Thank you.