Identifying a Houseplant

My dad was recently given a houseplant for Christmas, and he gave it to me. However, I have no idea what it is, so I'm unsure of how to take care of it.

It looks like a poinsettia. Keep it watered. Put it in a dark closet next October and it may bloom for Christmas.

It is a red Christmas pointsettia. I used to keep these for years (putting them into a dormant state by cutting back to about 6 inches tall and putting it in the basement in a cool, dark corner) but I think they have changed the breeding and the last few I have had did not come back. Two years ago, I got one that I didn't make dormant. Just pruned dead leaves and put in a semi sunny place with my other plants. I hasn't bloomed again, but for almost the whole 2 years the leaves were pretty. It got neglected during a crazy time recently and I hope I didn't kill it! They are hearty but fussbudgets. They need regular watering.

Poinsettias can be saved and possibly rebloom next Christmas but I have found them to be more trouble (care) than I like to spend so I just buy one when they first appear for the season. I do keep them alive as long as possible because I like the green leaves but show no special care.

If you are interested in trying to save your plant, check out these web sites for care instructions.

www.gardeningknowhow.com/.../poinsettia-care-after-christmas.htm

www.ftd.com/.../poinsettia-care#guide

You will find many different advices about Poinsettia being or not highly dangerous for pets and kids. In fact the main danger of the Poinsettia comes from its sap like all the members of the Euphorbia family, so when taking care of it, protect your eyes and wear gloves, because the contact of the sap with the eyes can cause severe burns.

this is definitely a pointsettia, a plant that does better in winter than summer

Home and Garden Gardening Plant Info What Is This PlantJanuary 13, 2019
🎂
🎃
🌻