ArtCollectibles

Identifying a Piece of Metal Relief Art

I have been given this picture. I must admit I have never seen this type before. What kind of craft picture is this? I am not sure if it is copper or brass. It has a hanging chain. Has anyone seen this or something similar? The picture itself seems to be of the olden times with minstrels. It is raised on the frame.

Best Answer

This is a technique that has been around for centuries. You'll use a very thin piece of metal, draw your design and transfer it to the metal. Afterwards, you'll use a stylus to make the impressions in the metal. The harder you push, the deeper the impression is in the metal. The metal used is pewter or silver that is coated. Here is some good information about the tools and metal that you can use.
myhusbandhastoomanyhobbies.com/.../

It is called metal embossing.

Can you tell me more. Type of metal and how they do it?

I believe this may have been called Repoussé and Chasing but less expensive pieces may rightfully be called wall art relief.