Indian Ground Beef with Potatoes (Keema Aloo)
Keema Aloo, is a delectable Indian dish composed of ground beef, potatoes, tomatoes, peas, and regional spices. The resulting stew is perfect for serving with naan bread or a bed of rice. The recipe is offered below.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This is a delicious ground beef stew dish from India. I've had some versions of it that don't include tomatoes, but I think adding them rounds the dish off very nicely. This is terrific alongside warm pieces of naan bread or a bed of long grain rice.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3 gloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp chili paste
- 3 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 can (14oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook onion until softened and browned at the edges, about 8 minutes.
- Add ground beef, garlic, ginger, chili paste, and cilantro. Break up the pieces of beef and stir well. Cook about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Mix in salt, cumin, and turmeric. Stirring frequently, cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and potatoes. Cover the pot and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. If mixture looks a bit dry, add a few tablespoons of water.
- Stir in the green peas and cook another 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Turn off the heat, sprinkle garam masala all over the top, cover, and let stand 5 minutes.
- Serve with bread or rice.