Inexpensive 80th Birthday Gift Ideas

I am looking for some inexpensive birthday gift ideas for an 80 yr. old aunt.

TerBear from Buffalo, NY

What about a lap blanket or throw, decorated with the names/nicknames of members of the family: his grandkids, great-grands, siblings, and hand- or foot-outlines of the little ones. Could sew-on the names made with stencils, or write-on with fabric paint.

I need some ideas for my mother's 80th birthday.
===
We posted this as a request.
Susan

We are having a card shower for my grandmother's 80th birthday. We're sending notices to friends and family to send her a birthday card during that week. She repeatedly said she didn't want a party but we had to do something!

There is a site www.Seniorstore.com, which has some great gift ideas. I too have to find a gift for an 80 year old grandfather.

We are doing a birthday party for dad who is turning 80 and we are all going in to get him and his wife a night a a bed and breakfast.

80 year-olds want to be young again!!Take him on a vacation,to where he grew up!Do a double date----you,your man/woman,him,his wife{if any}Take him out to dinner!!
Glad to help!

i had an idea of making a family tree starting with the 80 yr.old or making a money tree with 80 dollars on it.

I am trying to plan a party for my grandfather who is turning 80. He is a very reknowed wood carver who has recently lost his sight. What can I do that he would enjoy that didn't involve sight?

Hi I need gift ideas for a 80th year old Granny; were having a surprise party but need to also get her a gift? Thanks

For a 80 year old - the best gift is to show and speak to them of your love and appreciation. Why wait until they past away to hear how everyone feels? Get together people who have fond memories to share, especially about the goodness of that 80 year old. Not only speak of these things but video tape it also.

I bet you will see tears in their eyes - and they will have a wonderful video to rewatch, remember, and cherish their 80th birthday.

Try the RSL who can organise an OBE badge and certificate. (Over Bloody Eighty)

I manage an Assisted Living and it just so happens my mom & dad are celebrating their 80th birthday this Saturday, (we combined both). I have purchased a massaging bedpillow (my mom sits and wathces tv in bed), some anti aging cremes for my mom, etc. Dad is a different story. He likes books (but many of the elderly have visual problems). A magnifying glass might be helpful. Lotions are always good as their skin becomes very dry. A pedicure/manicure is always good as well. Just a few quick ideas. Hope this helps!

I giving my dad, also 80, a couple of "Jackie How'' singlets (navy) as he used to wear them when he was working as a carpenter years ago. I'm machine embroidering them with a fishing pic as he liked fishing but also "I made it to 80" on one and "I am an OCTOGENARIAN" on the other one.

Does your Aunt live alone, if she does, you can give her a card that you made up saying you will come over and clean and dust her place for her, go thru and see if there is anything your Aunt isn't using that can be given to the Salvation Army, some people are pack rats, also see if she has letters and cards from family and friends and start a scrapebook for her, old pictures can be put in also, ask who they are and write down on the bottom who and when it was take if she can remember. Some one mention a vedio recording, this is a great idea, can make copies and send it to family members who can add their family history to it. JMG of California

One of the gifts my mother seemed to enjoy most in her later years was a long distance phone account so it wouldn't cost her anything to call out of town family and friends. When she was about to use up the time, I would renew it for her. One Suite is an online company that has low rates.

If you are in the same general vacinity, give the gift of time. Create a food of the month (when we did this for my Grandmother it was chocolate chip cookies, her favorite, for my Mom it's a different dish each month) then enjoy a meal or an afternoon or even Sunday brunch at least once every month together. Now I live several states away from Mom and can't spend a day a month with her, so my Husband and I (and my daughter and her husband too) write little notes and sometimes record conversations over a meal throughout the month, Kinda like a journal and then send them to Mom with either a recipe to try or a non-perishable food item. Then on the scheduled day we each enjoy the same meal at the same time and spend our "day" together even though we are 1200 miles apart.
For important dates, like a siblings b'day or anniversary we sometimes send a restaurant gift certificate so that everyone can be together. It's a long distance family reunion. My sister is even putting together a family web page so Mom can share pictures with all of us too.

http://www.trix … rite_custom.html

I don't know how expensive this is, but it's one of many you can order newspapers that were running on the day of her birth, or make up your own stories!

My sister just had her 80th birthday. My family each gave her a $10 bill. I gave her a $10 gift card for CVS drug store. Maybe you would consider giving a gift card for his favorite grocery store?

When you are 80 yrs old, you want to be able to shop for yourself and pick out what you want. But most of the time, we don't have the money to do that. I used to take my mom to K mart so she could shop. Maybe a gift of time is an idea you can use. Sometimes elderly people cannot drive the car.

Pictures, pictures & more pictures. Archives from her church, school, wedding, families. You can fabricate
her image with the presidents past, favorite holidays, etc.
Enlarge them, make posters, placemats, seating cards..

Hi - we are the Australian maufacturers of the Over Bloody Eighty - Over Bloomin Eighty gift sets and certificates. We deliver nationally and internationally. Our web site is www.obedirect.com.au. Hope this is helpful.

This would work for 80, but my brother, sister, and I did it for my dad's 75th. Each of us wrote 25 things we remembered about him, mostly from childhood. We printed them out and put them on a book we made of handmade paper, and my sister illustrated it. He's almost 80 now, and the book still sits on the coffee table. He was very touched, especially by those things he'd forgotten but that had stuck in our memories for one reason or another.