Installing a New Light Fixture

I turned off the breaker and disconnected a halogen under cabinet light. I reconnected a LED under cabinet light by cutting off the plug that came with it and butt splicing it to the existing wire that fed the halogen fixture. I set the breaker on and the new fixture won't light up. I disconnected the fixture and tested the line for juice and there is none.

The wire on the new fixture looks to be a 12 gauge and the feed coming out of the wall under the cabinet a 10 gauge. Could that have caused the line to go bad? The breaker didn't trip when I put it on. What is the fix. Frustrated in Mechanicsburg.

By Dave