Installing a Whole House Water Filter

Category Plumbing
City or well water can contain lead, chloroform and other contaminates that may be unhealthy for you, and can cause damage to plumbing fixtures. You may want to install a filtration system for all the water you use. This is a guide about installing a whole house water filter.

A water purification company tested our water, supplied by township not well water, and said we had 19 grains of hardness and recommended installing their whole house water filter system costing about $5600+1200 for a period of 5 years. Is this a fair deal? Do the purification systems cost this much? The company name is Superior Home Technologies based in Pennsylvania. Thanks for all the valuable advice.

Answers

Before I would put out that kind of money, I would get a water hardness do-it-yourself test such as PurTest Iron Harness Plus from Home Depot. Under $10. It measures in grains so you can compare the test results with what the water softener company told you. It kind of sounds to me like they really want to sell you their product and , at those prices, I'd be double checking if I really needed it or not, especially since it's township water and not well water. Just my humble opinion. Good luck!

I really don't know if you need this or not. It sounds very expensive to me, but it depends what you want. Some people want water that is totally devoid of minerals. This may get you that kind of water. I have a Brita tap filter on my drinking water tap in the kitchen, and a watersoftener in the basement for all the rest of the water. It is very inexpensive and likely costs me less than $100 a year for softener salt and replacement filters. I have no idea what the softener itself cost, as it came with the house.

It does not sound like a fair deal to me.

Re testing-19 grains is extremely hard water!!! Below is a comprehensive and helpful article from Texas A&M about soft water. Note the article states:

A typical household water softener costs around $1,000 to $1,800. Monthly operating expenses range from $2 to $8 if sodium is used and from $3 to $15 if potassium is used.

http://www2.ca.  s/ip/ip7/ip7.htm