Instant Pickled Beets

Ingredients

• 1 cup liquid
  • 1/2 cup brown vinegar
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 stick cinnamon OR 1 Tbsp. whole cloves

Directions

For each can of beets you use, you need 1 cup of liquid. Liquid is the beet juice from the can and water added to make the 1 cup.

Place the liquid in a medium sauce pan, and set the beets aside in a med-large plastic bowl you can cover when done. Add to the liquid, the brown vinegar, sugar, and spice choice. Bring liquid mix to a boil, then pour over beets. Cover and refrigerate till chilled.

Great for a "do it the day before" holiday side dish. And yes, it can be made with sugar substitutes for diabetics.

By Dede from Macon, MO

Answers:

Instant Pickled Beets

I also make pickled beets using canned beets, but your recipe sounds much too sweet to me. I assume you mean a 15 oz. can, that's what I use. For one can of sliced beets I use 1/3 cup beet liquid (juice from the can), 1/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup white vinegar, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, and 1/8 tsp. ground cloves.

Bring all ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan. Add drained sliced beets, cover, let return to a boil and turn off the heat. Let it sit until cool (about an hour) and refrigerate. This tastes like the pickled beets in the jar, Greenwood brand, I think. (01/08/2009)

By OliveOyl