Introducing Kitten to Resident Cat

So we raised two cats from three weeks old, Ace and Bandit. We took our two older cats outside to finally give in to showing them the way of the cat. Lol Seven months later they were playing out front with the kids. Bandit was running with Ace following him. They ran from across the street towards our house and Bandit was struck by a car while Ace stopped in time. This happened five days ago. Ace isn't himself lately and today my girl and the kids brought a kitten, about 9-10 weeks old, home.

Ace does not like the kitten at all, he just hisses at him and won't be in the same room. He hisses and looks behind him even when the kitten isn't there. I'm afraid that he'll decide to not come home one night. I don't want to lose Ace also. The bond is really close with him and I don't want that to happen. My girl said give it a couple weeks. My question is, can bringing this new kitten, Cruz, into our home make Ace not want to live here anymore or even worse decide not to come back one night?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

I am so sorry for your loss.

• You cat hasn't had time to grieve over the loss of his friend.
  • Ad

• Animals grieve the same as we do.
  • The two grew up together and he was there when his friend died. This is hard on the animal.
  • You are going to have to keep this little cat away from the other one for a bit.
  • Keep the baby in another room and give him his own litter box, bowl, and toys to play with.
  • Slowly introduce the cats to each other.
  • It will take time, but they will finally get to know each other.
  • It will never be the same between this new kitten and your older cat. But they will become friends.