Introducing a New Cat to an Older Resident Cat

I have a 13 year old male cat (Oliver) and he has brought so much joy in my life, however I feel like I have some much love to give that I want another cat. Also, I work long hours and I always feel bad for leaving him alone. I always feel like he may be a tad bit lonely. Oliver had a brother, who passed away when he was 8 years old, so it has been a while since he's had an extra family member.

Oliver is extremely affectionate, he's always cuddling and purring. Do you think it would be a good idea for me to get another cat at this point? I don't want Oliver to think that I am replacing him and I want him to be accepting of a new cat.

By Megan C

How active is your Oliver? If he still plays he should be able to adjust well to a new housemate because if he is strong enough to play he should also be strong enough to keep the youngster in line.

Is he neutered? If yes, he should adjust well to any gender kitten but if no, a young female might be the best choice to avoid 'territory wars'.

A slow introduction would be best no matter what gender and age kitten you bring home-when I've introduced a newbie to a resident cat I've put the newbie into the travel carrier and set it where the established cat can visit all sides of the carrier.

There's always been a bit of hissing at first but after a bit the cats make it clear they're ready for a meet and greet outside of the carrier.

A good website to check for more introduction tips is:

cats.about.com/.../introducecats.htm