Italian Escarole Soup Recipe
A delicious soup full of vegetables, tortellini and meatballs, also called Italian Wedding soup. This page contains an Italian escarole soup recipe.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
My family's favorite soup! We grew up on a escarole soup of just chicken broth, escarole, meatballs and tortellini... delicious! All you will need is warm bread or rolls.
- 2 (32 oz) cartons chicken broth
- 2 (32 oz) cartons of water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3-4 fresh basil leaves, chopped or a tsp dried basil
- 1 head escarole, chopped in chunks, and rinsed very well
- season with light salt, black pepper, garlic powder, thyme, rosemary, basil and Italian seasoning.
- 1 lb meatballs*
- 1 pkg (10 oz) cheese tortellini
- fresh shredded Parmesan cheese for topping
*Make your own favorite meatball recipe, or mine is 1 egg, 1/4 cup bread crumbs, 1/4 cup grated cheese, with a sprinkle of basil, Italian seasoning, pepper, salt and garlic powder. I use 1 pound of extra lean ground beef to make these.
- Using a large soup pot, fill it with the chicken broth and water. Bring it to a boil. Add onion, celery and all seasonings.
- Add the chopped rinsed escarole. Bring to a boil.
- Make small soup meatballs and drop them in the bubbling soup.
- About a 1/2 hour before serving, add the bag of tortellini. Let them cook for about 15 minutes.
- Serve in large bowls with Parmesan cheese on top, and warm bread or rolls. Enjoy!
January 24, 20140 found this helpful
This page contains Italian wedding soup recipes. This soup with its tasty broth containing tiny meatballs, pasta, and vegetables is sure to be a hit with your family for dinner or any occasion.