JapaneseInternational

Japanese Style Potstickers (Gyoza)

These potstickers may seem daunting to prepare, but once you make your first batch, you'll be an automatic-potsticker-making-machine! These are fabulous as appetizers, sides or full meals. I like to serve them at get-togethers, but watch out, they go fast! I've included an alternative lettuce wrapped version here, as well as how to make my special dipping sauce.

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes

1. In a bowl, mix together the ground meat, cabbage, green onions, garlic, ginger, 1 tsp. sesame oil, 1 tsp. soy sauce, salt and pepper.
  2. Place a little bowl of water in front of you and lay out some gyoza wrappers.
  3. Pick up a wrapper and lay it on your hand. Use a teaspoon to scoop up a bit filling and drop it in the middle of the wrapper.
  4. Dip a finger from your free hand in the bowl of water and draw a circle around the outer edge of the wrapper.
  5. Fold the wrapper in half over the filling.
  6. Fold little pleats from the left to the right to seal the edges. Continue all this with the rest of the wrappers. You will have some filling left over to use in the lettuce wrap versions.
  7. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, put in the potstickers, flat side down.
  8. Cook potstickers until the bottoms are golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.
  9. Add a quarter cup of water to the pan, then cover with a lid. Steam for 3 to 4 minutes, until most of the water evaporates.
  10. Remove the lid cook uncovered until they are crispy on the bottom. Transfer to serving platter.
  11. To make the lettuce wrap versions, add a splash of oil to the pan and cook the remaining unused meat filling over medium-high heat until browned.
  12. Place filling in the center of the lettuce leaves.
  13. To make the dipping sauce, mix together the 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar, minced garlic clove, teaspoon of grated ginger, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, and chili flakes.

Attosa,

Your potstickers are beautiful and I will keep your recipe because we really enjoy them, and...guess what? I've never made them from scratch, isn't that funny! :) This is another one of those things that I don't know why I've not, but we've always bought the frozen ones from Trader Joes, and now that you've posted your recipe, I won't be buying them frozen ever-ever again! haha

And the really weird thing is, you probably made these a few days ago, (I'm assuming) because it takes a few days for the recipes to post, and I just made (the frozen ones several days ago) and had to show you that we were so on the same "food track again" that it's really funny and weird, you know?

hahaha That's why I had to post this picture of mine in the frig from over this last weekend I think it was, (I'm cleaning the frig today) and these were left over, we had too many and couldn't eat them all, and they're not homemade so they're just "so-so".

Believe me, my husband will go nuts when I make them again using your recipe, and I will too, since we've only eaten them pre-made from the store.

Thank you so much for sharing your recipe, it's one that my husband has asked me to make (just as you have made yours) and I just haven't "yet" but I sure will.

Why does this not surprise me?! You know what's so funny? The reason I made these was my friend asked me if I'd ever tried Trader Joe's potstickers and I told her that they're good enough for when I'm too lazy to make them from scratch!

She asked me for my recipe so I decided to post it here. And look what you have! SO funny! Let me know if you make these and how you find them! Sending big hugs! :)

Attosa, that is totally off the charts weird, in the funniest way! :) haha
I mean your friend asking you about Trader Joes Potstickers, and then this, me with my Trader Joes, and the "timing" again, hahaha I'm just cracking up laughing! This is so bizarre.

And I sure will let you know when I do make them, and thank you again...and, big hugs back to you! :)

Refresh my memory..(I know ill sound dumb for this) but just to be clear...that ground meat is precooked before mixing the other ingredients and stuffing in into the wrap, right?

I love potstickers and have made them before ( and i think i even posted them on THRIFTYFUN!!) but it was a while ago.
thnx!

Not dumb at all! The meat goes in raw, mixed well with the other ingredients. In these photos, the colour changed from touching the soy sauce etc :) Only when you want to use the lettuce wrapped version do you cook the raw meat first.